Dawes Kingpin weird seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich110

Regular
I just bought a dawes kingpin and it came with this awful seat & post. It doesn't look original to me, but does anyone know what it was from originally?

The post is 530mm/21" long and weighs 590g. 1200g for the saddle.

Qh94ET5.jpg

bZfPv4V.jpg

0rQIane.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
How much does the bike weigh?

Reactions: gbb

figbat

Slippery scientist
Is it the vintage Kingpin or the modern Chinese folder? That certainly isn’t right for the older one - I have one and am in a Kingpin owners group on FB. Should be a plain chromed steel post with the reduced end for the seat mount. Yours looks like it has come off of an exercise bike or one of those city rental bikes.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
+1 to @figbat 's comments. That's not a Kingpin seatpost or saddle. The saddle should be a white sprung Brooks, with a chrome seatpost.

I'll get a photo of the correct ones in the morning; we've 3 Kingpins :okay:

@rich110 - this is the typical saddle, a white Brooks. The black one came on my latest Kingpin and may be a mid-80's original. The seatpost is longer as it's a 20" wheeler:

View attachment 610648

dont suppose any of the white saddles are surplus/for sale are they , i am just about to search the dreaded ebay :wacko: need a saddle and rear wheel , could have sworn i had a wheel in the shed but :headshake:.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@roadrash - not those but I've been given a large box of vintage parts. In there are several saddles which you're welcome to have your pick of for postage:

PXL_20211030_183509956.jpg

Thank you but i really want to try fid a white brookes in decent condition, i just gave myself a heart attack, price they want for a raleigh twenty 3 speed sturmey archer rear wheel on ebay :eek::eek:, there are a couple at decent prices but not willing to post, just my luck.

Hey Roadie - bide your time and I'm sure you'll get the parts. Pre covid, I got two R20's, one for a score and the other a fiver. The current ludicrous prices will abate once we get back to some kind of 'normal'. I strongly suspect you'll be able to get a complete R20 for less than the SA hub as a single item. Be patient and you'll be rewarded for sure :okay:

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom