Dawes Milk Race Scrub Up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Another little update, after a metric ton and subsequent clean this morning I relaxed with some afternoon fettling. New brakes inners and outer, a new chain and a new rear inner/outer. A few problems with the front mech as the lie limit screw does not work, so I had to fiddle with cable tension to get make it all work. Finally I scrubbed the hoods, Then bleached them, then scrubbed them over and over and finished off with new bar tape and a bottle cage.

Thanks to @Hugh Manatee with his stem the reach matches my other bikes.

I still need to sort the front and rear wheel bearings, but it is certainly more than rideable even if it is a bit tatty.

20170304_174527344_iOS.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
its coming on well , when will it make its true maiden voyage @Milkfloat

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Well just back from a shakedown. I was planning a short ride into town and back, but the sun was out so I stayed out for 20 miles and only came back as my jeans were starting to rub and the clouds moved in.

It has been a fair few years since I have done more than a few minutes with friction shifters. I can now remember why I was happy with my first indexed bike. :laugh: Being serious, it just felt a different style of riding, a bit of a cross between fixed gear and indexed, changing far less frequently.

Other that that, some expected flex when putting the power down and an infrequent clucking noise that sounds like the BB but I think is coming from the freewheel or rear wheel bearings. One to investigate when I can find the right freewheel remover. I have a few, but none seem to fit.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well just back from a shakedown. I was planning a short ride into town and back, but the sun was out so I stayed out for 20 miles and only came back as my jeans were starting to rub and the clouds moved in.

It has been a fair few years since I have done more than a few minutes with friction shifters. I can now remember why I was happy with my first indexed bike. :laugh: Being serious, it just felt a different style of riding, a bit of a cross between fixed gear and indexed, changing far less frequently.

I always find the same it's like driving an automatic,and I bet you were not much slower either.

milkracer

I bought one of these, brand new back in 1987/8 and still use it (although recently gained a 2006 Trek SLR1400)

Top tubes were short, that was the style at the time.

There were variations, I’m not sure if it was slight differences in design from year to year, I have a brochure from 1987 which shows white hoods and cables where as mine had black hoods and red cables

There were two versions, the Milk Race Europa (501 tubing) and the Milk Race Europa Pro (531c tubing) with a little higher spec

The original saddle would have been white and padded, actually not that uncomfortable, and chrome toe clips would have been standard

Bottom brackets are old style cup and bearing, easily rebuildable and regreasable

Unfortunately it seems wheels of the old spec are rare as hens teeth and mine were damaged by an idiot in a van

You decals look in superb condition for the age, mine are completely bleached out

Top Bottom