Dawes Milk Race Scrub Up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I thought I would start a thread to semi-document my first foray with a older bike. I have built bikes before, but only modern ones with carefully matched and researched components. This is the first time I will be dealing with something older with technology I have not come across since I was a boy.

So, thanks to a tip off from @simon.r £14 got me the bike below. A 1986/7 (not sure yet) Dawes Milk Race, run of the mill, nothing special Reynolds 500.

20170215_201856818_iOS.jpg

20170215_201910616_iOS.jpg

20170215_202209376_iOS.jpg

20170215_202220447_iOS.jpg

20170215_202229959_iOS.jpg

So, my immediate plans are to go on holiday, then when I come back start some work. So far all I have done is pump up the tyres (some new 23-622 Schwalbes) worth more than the bike, raise the saddle and ride 50 meters.

The top tube is too short, so I need to sort that. I guess the plastic saddle can go back a bit, but I think I will have to drop the stem to make the reach effectively longer. Were there such things as layback seat posts in the mid 80s, and do I have too much post showing? I cannot see a limit marker, but it is dark and dirty.

I also need to sort out the limit screws on the rear derailleur, I threw the chain into the spokes straight away.

Other than that I will start with a full clean and grease, try to true the wheels and probably re-cable everything. The rear calliper is very sticky, so will sort that. The wheels run well, but I think the front bearing feels a bit gritty.

Feel free to weigh in with comments and suggestions, even better a few answers too.

midlife

Guru
You need to spin the seat holding thing around as its back to front :smile:

veloplus-vintage-inspired-italian-e-bikes-4.jpg

Shaun

simon.r

Person
I'm regretting posting the link, I wished I'd picked it up on one of my regular trips to Coventry:rolleyes:

I reckon flipping the saddle, a good clean and degrease and new cables (as you suggest) would make that a decent bike. Probably worth significantly more than £14 if you readvertise it with "Reynolds 500, l'eroica" in the title!^_^

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Milkfloat welcome to retro club you have taken your time to jump aboard

that looks a great intro for sure

re the seat post and clamp , back in the day they rode them that way round , so that's found you an inch straight away , that post must be close to limit marks , nothing wrong with using a newer style one on a retro bike at all .

You can get some 130 mm quill stems so you should be able to get a bit more reach there .

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
[QUOTE 4684708, member: 45"]When buying bearings, pay the extra and get the tubs rather than kits for a one-off replacement. I use the Weldtite ones. You'll never run out.

And get one of these Park Tools gauges.

Why? Well once you finish this one you'll find yourself watching ebay bikes by distance, and you'll buy another one. And another....[/QUOTE]

I see what you are trying to do - you are trying to get me to bulk buy and invest so I have no choice but to buy new bikes. I like your thinking, I am not so sure my wife does :smile:

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@Milkfloat welcome to retro club you have taken your time to jump aboard

You can get some 130 mm quill stems so you should be able to get a bit more reach there .

It is not quite the first jump into retro as I got the ladies Claud Butler that you pointed out to me early last year. However, all that needed was tyres and re-cabling. I also have my mid 90's Trek that I have owned from new - so far not had to touch bearings.

I will try with the saddle first and then look at stems - hopefully I will be able to get away with it. I need to drop the bars as they are too high anyway.

Drago

Legendary Member
500 is a funny old tubeset. Quite a decent CroMo but plain gauge, which fails to capitalise on the materials characteristics. 501 is the same material, but in double butted form, and is actually very nice indeed, if underrated by people who get sniffy about low Reynolds numbers for reasons that I doubt even they understand.

Interesting bike, looking forward to seeing how it scrubs up.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
[QUOTE 4684972, member: 45"]Here's the sell:

People are clamouring for retro bikes. If I spend a little bit of money now I won't have to spend anything when I get the next bike. I'll find an ebay bargain, do it up and sell it at a profit. And you'll be able to watch soaps all night while I'm out in the shed.[/QUOTE]

Whereas the reality is: I buy a bike, spend a fortune and either sell it at a huge loss or leave it hanging in the garage. Either way, I would be happy as it is about the journey.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Whereas the reality is: I buy a bike, spend a fortune and either sell it at a huge loss or leave it hanging in the garage. Either way, I would be happy as it is about the journey.

it is a journey as well sometimes

It is not quite the first jump into retro as I got the ladies Claud Butler that you pointed out to me early last year. However, all that needed was tyres and re-cabling.

i had forgot about the Claud Butler

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice. That's a big old frame, looks like 25 1/2" to me. How tall are you?

Didn't think they still fitted band on shifters then. Maybe price related.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Very nice. That's a big old frame, looks like 25 1/2" to me. How tall are you?

Didn't think they still fitted band on shifters then. Maybe price related.

I measured it at 25" to the very top of the seat tube, so that must make it a 25 1/2 as you say. I am 6'4", but ride a 58cm in modern bike sizing. I suspect I can bring the saddle down a bit. I was surprised by band on too, it made me think it could have been earlier than 86/87, but it seems that was just the way they came. I have not had a chance to poke around it at all yet, too busy trying to get the kids sorted for a 3.30am leave for a flight tomorrow.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A mini update.

I finally got my hands dirty today - very dirty. I started off with a big clean and degrease, the drivetrain was particularly bad, involving chiselling off mud/grease with a old screwdriver in some places. A new tube has gone in and I attempted to fix the grinding bearings in the rear wheel. I don't have the right tool to remove this particular freewheel (which has a bit of play in it anyway) so I had to attack from the non-drive side. I have improved things, but not spectacularly. Front and rear wheels needed truing, I have made them better, but not good enough. Finally I swapped the saddle to something a little more comfortable.

I have ordered a new set of cables, a chain and some bar tape.

I am on the look out for a seatpost with a bit of layback and a longer stem.

Overall, the paint work and decals are a bit shabby, with small bits of rust, so I will probably use it for messing around on, the odd shortish club ride and the turbo trainer.

Top Bottom