Dawes 'support'...hmmm...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

My stem broke on my Galaxy (ripped the screw thread) so i want a replacement of the same type which was supplied with the new bike I bought. I have been into lot's of LBS and not one of them is able to source a replacement of this type. So I contacted dawes directly. This is the second time I have had need to contact them, the first time they jus tignored my e mail.

Hi

The stem on this Galaxy is a standard alloy a-head stem so you should be able to find one of these at any good bike shop, I am afraid that we do not keep spares so we would not be able to send you one.

Apologies

Dawes Cycles

Hi,

I have a dawes galaxy 2007 64cm frame 110 cm stem. The stem needs replacing as the threads ripped out on the screws. Thing is I cannot find a bike shop who stocks these stems anywhere. Please can you tell me where I can get a replacement stem of this type (the exact same as you fitted to the new bike when i bought it)

Currently the bike is unrideable. I would also like a 90cm stem to try out.

Please can you answer me asap.

many thanks

Stationary Dawes customer

Bloody useless. :smile:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Have you tried Spa Cycles in Harrogate? I've heard good reports about them.

One would think that somebody might take pity on a customer who had bought what is a quite expensive machine, pluck a stem from their stock and send it to him FOC.

I think that their failure to that, or to even offer to sell you one at a reasonable price, means that you and other customers might think twice about buying their products in the future. Shame on them for such poor customer service.

gavintc

Guru
I do not see what is so special about a galaxy stem. This problem has happened to me- stripped the thread. You just buy a new one, either online or in a shop. They are not that expensive if you do not want a carbon lightweight one. I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I bought a new Bike from a Dawes dealer. A part of that bike has broken. I am not even saying it should be replaced free, or under warranty, I am happy to a replacement myself. I have been to at least 5 LBS and none of them have these stems or are able to get them. They simply stock the more modern (black) stems,which are cool but I want the bike to be as supplied. I have contacted the manufacturer who is unable/willing to help. They still fit thise stems to their new bikes and as such must have a source. I find it hard to believe that they dont have a single spare either.
I have a new (black alloy) stem fitted now but it is not what i want. It is perfectly reasonable for me to want the same part as that which was broken. After all this bike isn't old and the same spec is still being sold.
Dawes couldnt be arsed to get out of bed to find a simple standard stem for a customer. Says a lot about their attitude to customer service.

I have em'd Spa, thanks for the suggestion.

gavintc

Guru
Ok, point taken. I have found that the main removable bits; saddle, stem, seatpost etc which are not part of the drivetrain cannot be replaced with original bits.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I'd redirect your ire at the bike shops who have failed to supply you with what you want

..two of those shops are dawes dealers who it would seem cannot get the part from Dawes either. I think it's ridiculous to supply an expensive bike fitted with parts you cannot replace witht he same part when they break..it's stupid...just say I bought a BMW car or so...then the think breaks & th edealer tells me he can tfind a replacement part because BMW dont have the bit...how long would it be before BMW got an eaerfull from me? All Dawesd have done is take my bike custom then dump my in th eshit when it breaks & pass the buck onto LBS who can tget the bit either.

domtyler

Über Member
If I had a problem with a car, say a Ford, I wouldn't think to email General Motors about the problem, they are the manufacturers and are simply not set up to provide the help you require, that would be the job of the dealerships.

domtyler

Über Member
I am not sure why any bike shop should not be able to supply a replacement stem for you, I have bought many in the past and not had problems other than needing to know the correct measurements.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
It is perfectly reasonable for me to want the same part as that which was broken
Except . . . it's broken! I would be looking to source a better part. There's no reason why the bolts should have stripped unless you were particularly heavy handed. Concentrate on getting a quality part first and aesthetics second.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...that is not the point. The point is that Dawes have let me down and don't seem to care. If the bloody LBS's had it Iwould hav egot it and wouldnt have had to contact dawes in the first place...like i said forget it..life's to bloody short.

Danny

Legendary Member
Dawes are not the company they once were. When I have tried to contact them for information they were useless, and their behaviour towards you is not the way to retain a loyal customer base.

Having said that your contract was with the LBS you bought the bike from not Dawes, so the onus should have been on them to sort the problem out. I would actually argue that a stem should last a lot longer than the 18 months or so you have had it, so you could suggest that under the Sale of Goods Act the shop ought to replace it with an equivalent stem free of charge.

Top Bottom