Dawes 'support'...hmmm...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
If the dealers are not stumping up then I'd have thought that the next step would be the company.

No - the contract is always with the dealer.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

If the dealerships are underperforming, then doesn't the manufacturer need to know?

agreed.

No doubt they keep a close eye on dealerships sales figures for dawes bikes...I wonder how they measure their post sales service??

I bought a DAWES bikes...I did not buy a LBS cycles bike...it says DAWES on it. If I were Dawes I would be VERY interested in what my exisiting customers felt about the after sales service, because like it or not people talk to people before buying new bikes.

Danny

Legendary Member
Totally agree that is how Dawes ought to behave, however if you want a legal address your route is via your dealer. If you want to pursue this with them I can give you some legalise to use - or Dom always claims he can write a mean letter of complaint.

Slightly OT....I have to say my ideal of good customer care at the moment is Sony. I bought a Sony camera a while ago while on holiday in the US. It subsequently went wrong - outside the end of the US guarantee period - so I phoned up Sony UK to see if they could do anything. "No problem" they said, we will send someone round today to collect the camera and repair it free of charge. Two hours later a courier arrived at the door, took the camera away, and returned it fully working within a week. More recently I reported that my son's PS3 had gone wrong, and they delivered a replacement the next day.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..superb...thanks. next time I need a camera (which will be soon given the soaking mine took in germany) I will go and check out Sony gear first.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I still don't understand why you can't just go and buy a new stem?

why dont you read the thread?

I have bought a new stem...but it isnt the one I want (i.e the origional type). All i want is a direct repalcement for the origional stem as supplied.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
why dont you read the thread?

I have bought a new stem...but it isnt the one I want (i.e the origional type). All i want is a direct repalcement for the origional stem as supplied.

Why - and I'm not being funny here, it's a genuine question - is it so important to have the same type of stem? Most cyclists I know, me included, would jump at such an opportunity to upgrade a bit of the bike.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Why...simply because I want 2. I want to have my bike as it was. I find the new black stem ugly on this bike.
Although it does ride better now I have a shorter stem.

Like most of the other bikes sold in the UK over the last twenty years your bike was assembled in the far east and arrived here boxed and complete. Dawes don't assemble bikes, they design/ spec and order them months in advance by the container load. The bottom line is that they have no cost-effective way of sourcing you an OEM stem.

I think you are being a little unfair.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Dawes don't assemble bikes, they design/ spec and order them months in advance by the container load. The bottom line is that they have no cost-effective way of sourcing you an OEM stem.

..so what...they sold me a bike that if broken cannot be replaced prpoerly. Nowhere in the sales blurb does it say...whatcg out , if anything on this bike breaks you are up shoot creek without a paddle!....besides how is it not cost effective if I am willingto pay for it?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Hi

The stems are specified and supplied by the far east when the bikes are put together over there so we do not have a contact as such for these parts as they come fully fitted.

Kind regards

Dawes Cycles

..to be honest I dont give a flying f*** where they are put together, all i want is a stem.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You really need to get a bit of perspective over this - you bought from a company that offers a product at a competitive price because it outsources all its production to the far east and is merely the 'front' trading on the illusion of a decent British brand that earned its reputation many years ago. They're quite upfront about this and it allows them to offer perceived value at point of sale. You chose them rather than the more personalised service of other brands but now seem upset that the 'value' they offered means they must economise on the after sales service they can afford to provide. Well, you pays your money - you takes your choice. You chose cheap.

Legally, your only beef is with the retailer if you think the stem was unfit for service. They are the only people with any obligation to help you. However I should think they will believe that it was your hamfistedness that has stripped the threads as that is the only way I have seen a stem become unusable. In that case no one is under any obligation to help - you just need to buy a new stem. If you can't find one that meets your aesthetic sensibilities, then tough. But try SJS Cycles as they usually have masses of out of date cheap tat.

Top Bottom