Dawes 'support'...hmmm...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

You really need to get a bit of perspective over this - you bought from a company that offers a product at a competitive price because it outsources all its production to the far east and is merely the 'front' trading on the illusion of a decent British brand that earned its reputation many years ago. They're quite upfront about this and it allows them to offer perceived value at point of sale. You chose them rather than the more personalised service of other brands but now seem upset that the 'value' they offered means they must economise on the after sales service they can afford to provide. Well, you pays your money - you takes your choice. You chose cheap.

Legally, your only beef is with the retailer if you think the stem was unfit for service. They are the only people with any obligation to help you. However I should think they will believe that it was your hamfistedness that has stripped the threads as that is the only way I have seen a stem become unusable. In that case no one is under any obligation to help - you just need to buy a new stem. If you can't find one that meets your aesthetic sensibilities, then tough. But try SJS Cycles as they usually have masses of out of date cheap tat.

Sure:rolleyes:;).

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

When I bought it I wasnt 'cycle savvy'...I was simply guided by what I read onhere and by what the LBS told me. Where do dawes say in their sale sblurb that

it outsources all its production to the far east and is merely the 'front' trading on the illusion of a decent British brand that earned its reputation many years ago

Anyway £650 is not cheap in my book. Look guys this is simple. The part broke (I am not claiming it was faulty) I needa replacement. the Dawes dealers are unable to find a replacement of the same type and neither is Dawes. That is not good.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Interestingly...

Product recall

Dawes 2008 Discovery 601 and Giro 500

A possible defect has been detected in the stem fitted on the above bicycles. The casting around the stem mounting bolts may show signs of fatigue over time and crack, causing the stem to become loose from the steering column. As a precautionary measure, we are recalling the above bikes to allow new stems to be fitted. It is only these models affected in this recall as they share a common stem.

No other Dawes bikes are affected.

A new stem will be available week commencing 12th May 2008. You must stop using the bike immediately.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your co-operation.

ok..so not relevant to my bike it seems but they are able to source replacement stems.

...I just think it's a 'poor show'

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

The Dawes bicycle brand offers you the unique blend of British heritage and outstanding performance. Dawes has a limitless passion for quality and service. The 2008 range delivers cycling excellence from a bedrock of corporate strength which guarantees after sales support, reliable warranty and customer focussed brand values

;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Chris James

Über Member
My problem with that is that Dawes doesn't offer value. It wants to be something that it isn't. Fair enough if it's up-front about being cheap. But the Galaxy, for example, isn't any better value than anything else at that price point.

Maybe BFTB is sore because he bought one of their more expensive bikes.

I suppose Dawes have got themselves into a pickle by downgrading themselves but still retaining possibly their only worthy product.

I think this is remarkably harsh on Dawes. I suspect there aren't a lot of 631 framed bikes available for the price BTFB paid. And in any case, from his touring exploits it sounds like the bike has been good for him.

I agree with Tim that it sounds like BTFB broke his stem, rather than it not being fit for purpose. And since he was quite prepared to buy the replacement himself then I guess he might admit there is a degree of truth in that too.

The problem is probably that Dawes fit NVO stems on their bikes and they do not seem available from anyone else. Funnily enough I thought Dawes were going to become the NVO distributor, maybe not? So it sounds like BTFB can't get the exact replacement (if he thought it was faulty then why would you want the same one again?).

In any case, I don't think Dawes have an obligation to supply one. Though it might be good for PR if they could be more helpful.

Chris James

Über Member
I don't think it's overly harsh. I've had poor communication with them in the past. I've also spoken with several people in the business who say that Dawes are difficult to work with in terms of support. And like I said, my LBS has dropped them because they're not keeping up with other similar manufacturers. It's sad really.

I have a Dawes Audax and have been really happy with it. The front wheel developed a crack in the rim and it was replaced no questions asked under the warranty. Perhaps both our views are coloured by our experiences?

I'm not saying the Galaxy is a bad bike. It was top of my list for next year. It's just nothing special for that price. And when spending that much money anyone with any sense will go for the brand he knows will support him. Which is why the Galaxy is not on my list any more.

Your last sentence says it all really.

How much support are you expecting from the manufacturer? You can pick up a 2008 Galaxy for £720 from Spa Cycles. Given the choice I might prefer the similarly specced Hewitt Cheviot but this bike costs £900. Even if you have a problem and the dealer or Dawes don't support you (not my experinece as stated above) then you can replace a lot of the bike for the £180 price difference between the models.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..hold on here...I am not in anyway knocking the Galaxy as a bike. I love my bike, it got me across germany and France this summer and I am very happy with it as a 'fast' tourer. Yes the stem broke because I tightened it too much and ripped the thread out, it happens. No I am not saying it isnt fit for purpose, yes I am willing to buy a new one and yes if you actually read this thread things will be clearer.

I am not complaining about the part. I am complaining about Dawes dealerships and dawes being unable to source me a new replacement stem of the type supplied on the new bike. It wouldnt take much to do, but they seem unable/unwilling to help. If th estem had failed and qualified under warranty they would replace it I feel sure, but because it doesnt they cant be bothered.

The comments above about me buying cheap are rubbish. I bought the best bike I could afford. A Dawes galaxy is not a cheap bike, in any event th eprice i paid is irrelevant. I just want a replacement for th epart that broke, is that so hard to comprehend???

For the sake of good PR if nothing else Dawes could at least try to help, all I asked then for was to tell me where i can get this part from.

Like I said a few times already, it's a poor show. Good bike, crap after sales service.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
Yes the stem broke because I tightened it too much and ripped the thread out, it happens. No I am not saying it isnt fit for purpose, yes I am willing to buy a new one and yes if you actually read this thread things will be clearer.

I am not complaining about the part. I am complaining about Dawes dealerships and dawes being unable to source me a new replacement stem of the type supplied on the new bike.

I understand your points, and I also understand that you want a stem just the same as the one you've broken. What I can't understand is why. As I said earlier, most cyclists I know would think "well, that wasn't really up to the job" and go out and buy something better. End of, and no need to make a big fuss about anything.

But you said yourself that you are actually happier with the new shorter stem (apart from the fact that it's black), so what is the point in getting one like the original that is actually too long? Surely, there must be short, non-black stems about??

LondonCommuter

I'm with you Big One. I've had my Dawes Galaxy for nearly 3 months and am very happy with it. When the pedals go I will joyfully replace them with something better, but with other parts I might want to keep the appearance of the bike. I had similarly crap service from Dawes (both phone and email) when I asked a few questions before buying, and got some of them answered on this forum. My LBS (from whom I bought the galaxy) no longer stocks cheaper Dawes because he reckons there not worth the trouble etc.

Islabikes have a different business model to all the other cycle 'manufacturers', they cut out the middleman; the retailer, but still sell at retail prices. That extra margin is how they can afford to provide such good back up. It's unfair to compare them with Dawes or other brands.

I bet Dawes' Taiwanese factory wouldn't sell them a single stem even if they asked them to. They buy them in according to the number of bikes they need to build. So you're kind of expecting someone from Dawes to call someone in Taiwan, who would then call someone else in Taiwan to order a single stem. These companies just don't sell single components nor do they have the infrastructure to do so.

Dawes after-sales service is little different to any other mainstream brand, try buying a Trek, Marin or Whoever OE stem, you cant. So it's unfair to single them out for criticism. It's just the way the market works. If it were different, your Galaxy would have been way out of your budget and you wouldn't be riding it.

Top Bottom