Dawes Ultra Galaxy 2012 or Hewitt Cheviot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamesandpie

I apologise for yet another X vs. Y bike thread here, but I could do with a quick bit of advice from anyone in the know about a little purchasing conundrum I'm facing.

I have been quoted a very good price for the new Dawes Ultra Galaxy 2012 for £1299, which is £500 off the rrp. Although having read many threads and reviews on the Hewitt Cheviot I realise I could get a nice made to measure one from Paul for around the same price. I'm not too savvy with the majority of the components to know which one is the better deal, and I love the idea of the having a bike made to measure. Although the 30 gears on the new 2012 Ultra and the 853 steel is tempting me too.

Could anyone with a bit more experience lend a hand as to which way I should sway? The bike will be for a long tour over several months from London to India, so I'm anticipating some fairly dubious terrain. Thanks for your help :smile:

Here are the spec sheets for both!
http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/misc/cheviot-specifications/
http://www.dawescycles.com/p-606-ultra-galaxy.aspx

stumpy66

Veteran
I have no experience of the galaxy, but i bought a cheviot se from Hewitts and went for the bike fit. I have had the bike for a couple of years now and not had one days trouble with it. Wheel build is superb, after a couple of thousand fully laden miles they are still running true. Coupled with a brooks saddle it is super comfy for long days in the saddle. The beauty with buying from Paul Hewitt you can choose the spec etc to suit your needs or pocket which you wouldnt get with buying an off the peg dawes. Im sure there will be others along with different opinions tho, but imho i would defo go with the hewitt

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I've got a Hewitt Cheviot too. Due to puny female legs, got a mountain bike triple fitted, so have lower gears for the hills. It was my first drop bar bike, and I thought he'd got me tipped far too far forwards at first, but now having done a couple of thousand miles on it I can't argue with the fitting.
I've no knowledge of the Dawes, so can't do a comparison for you - but if you're close enough to Leyland to get Paul to fit you, it's probably worth going for.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Long faithful to the older Dawes Galaxy (531 framed) ... I can't help feeling that Dawes have lost their way in recent years, and I'd go with Hewitt if I lived in the North West.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Long faithful to the older Dawes Galaxy (531 framed) ... I can't help feeling that Dawes have lost their way in recent years, and I'd go with Hewitt if I lived in the North West.

I've been doing some ''which touring bike'' thinking recently and I'm more than tempted by the Cheviot/Cheviot SE. So much so that I'm off to Leyland next Wednesday to get jigged up by Paul. Dawes may be more readily available off the peg locally but going from the SE to the NW doesn't seem to be an excessive distance for a bike that's going to take you so much further. Though they don't have an enormous range of frame sizes, I'm confident from talking to him and hearing of others' experience,
that the bike will feel just right when I eventually get to take it for a proper jaunt. Now, what colour shall I go for?

(Might drive or take the train, with or without my bike - if I do take my bike, does anybody know what the countryside around Leyland is like? It seems a shame to go to a part of the country I don't know and not have a little look around.)

P.H

Über Member
I've had my Cheviot SE about 7 years, it's getting a bit scruffy and is ready for a coat of paint and a makeover. I'm another one who is pleased with the result of the fitting session, it felt wrong at first but once I became used to it found it comfier and quicker. I don't think I'd have arrived at that riding position on my own, I was already an experienced cyclist when I bought it and didn't really think I'd gain much, I was wrong.
Though I certainly have no regrets about buying my Cheviot, the drop in the price of titanium frames in the last few years would make it a harder choice today. The Spa touring bike defiantly deserves to be on any shortlist. I considered a Hewitt after reading the review in Cycle magazine and learning the reviewer, Chris Juden, had bought the bike. Well the same reviewer has now bought himself the Spa tourer.

jags

Guru
yes also heard good thing on the spa ti tourer .
a few lads in our group have the new ultra galaxy and its a great looking bike and light which was a big plus for me.dont know much on the hewitt bike only the reviews are always on the good side but its only his fitting service thats spot on he doesn't make the actual bike or does he.
to be honest get a test ride on a few bikes before you spend if at all possible.
my choice would be the spa ti bike.just saying.

P.H

Über Member
.dont know much on the hewitt bike only the reviews are always on the good side but its only his fitting service thats spot on he doesn't make the actual bike or does he.

He'll make full custom frames if you don't fit well on a standard size. The usual Cheviot frames are made in Taiwan, then painted and built up in the UK. You can choose a colour, and to some extent the braze ons. Every bike is built up to the customers spec, so it's a lot cheaper than getting upgrades to a standard spec. For example, I already had a rack, wanted the front wheel building around the hub dynamo I supplied and wanted to use my own saddle. The component advice from Paul was also spot on, I spent more money than planned on some things and less on others, he also mixed Campag and Shimano to get the gearing and shifters I wanted. None of this would have been possible on an off the peg bike without leaving myself (Or a bike shop) with a box of parts to try and sell. The long term value of getting it right first time is no to be underestimated, I changed the brakes when wide profile ones became available, otherwise the only things I've changed in 7 years has been stuff that's worn out.
I've never bought a bike from Spa, I understand with their own models you get the same kind of choices.

rollinstok

+1 for the Surly lht
between the Dawes and the Hewitt, I would go for the Hewitt
the Dawes was a lovely bike but I think they are getting left behind a little now and are overpriced, though you have been offered a good deal on the ultra

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've got an ultra Galaxy and it has been brilliant for my touring these last few years. I'm not sure what people mean about them 'being left behind' really. It has good components, it's steel, reliable and is bloody comfortable. I'm not saying it's better than anything else but I can't fault mine.
I would say that I'm not sure how it would perform on dodgy terrain to India though. It's reasonably robust but my touring has been on tarmac apart from a few white roads in eastern Europe.
Others on here might know better about that aspect but I'd be considering an expedition bike in yyour shoes maybe. A Thorn, Santos or summat.

I'm considering getting a Hewitt as a lightweight tourer/audax bike. I have a Santos Travelmaster with a Rohloff already. I know I would use the Santos for a trip to India.

Will you be carrying all your own gear or will you be supported? Will you be taking some rough routes? (probably). Do you want as much reliability as possible? I would really suggest you take a serious look at some expedition bikes before making a final decision.

Good luck on your choice and trip

OP
OP
Jamesandpie

Jamesandpie

Thanks so much for the help to everyone who has replied. I've noticed there is a new Surly Long Haul Trucker on ebay for £900 so I may look into that a bit more too.
As much as I would love a Ti tourer I don't think my budget could stretch to £1550 unfortunately. The same goes for a Expedition bike 'rich p', and I have to set myself a limit somewhere.
The Hewitt is becoming increasingly tempting, especially with all the rave reviews I have been reading everywhere. I can't seem to find a single displeased customer which is always a good sign.
'middleagecyclist' yes, I shall be self-supported (with a friend) and whilst the road condition will be variable and rough in places, I guess we're just hoping the bikes will pull through!
I might give Paul a call in the next few weeks and have a little chat about coming to see him.

Barbelier

I've got an ultra Galaxy and it has been brilliant for my touring these last few years. I'm not sure what people mean about them 'being left behind' really. It has good components, it's steel, reliable and is bloody comfortable. I'm not saying it's better than anything else but I can't fault mine.
I would say that I'm not sure how it would perform on dodgy terrain to India though. It's reasonably robust but my touring has been on tarmac apart from a few white roads in eastern Europe.
Others on here might know better about that aspect but I'd be considering an expedition bike in yyour shoes maybe. A Thorn, Santos or summat.
+1
I recently bought a Galaxy Ultra via my Company C2W scheme (the custom route wasn't an option) and am delighted with it - very comfortable, responsive and the quality of the components is excellent. Not had a single problem with it after a 1,000+ miles, so I also don't understand the "Dawes has lost their way" comments.

Top Bottom