Dawes Ultra Galaxy 2012 or Hewitt Cheviot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jamesandpie

Jamesandpie

Thanks Barbelier, It's reassuring to hear your positive review on the Ultra, as Spa Cycles have got back to me and said that they will 'most likely' be pricing the 2012 Ultra for £1270 when it arrives in April, which is 30% off the RRP. So I'm going to spend a couple more weeks looking around.

PaulRide, whilst your Cheviot looks like a lovely bike, it might be a tad small for me and I would prefer STI levers, good luck selling it though!

That said, I'm off to look at a Thorn Sherpa which has been advertised locally. But it's got a 52cm frame and I'm 6ft. The guy told me he's 6ft too and when he bought it new Thorn said that was the right frame for him. I'm sceptical which is why I shall be off to try it out after work. :smile: Does anyone else have experience with Thorn's frame being unusual ratios/sizes, if it has a long top tube could I just raise the seat to compensate?

PaulRide

Always at opposition
Yep, I'd guess that if you're 6ft you'd want a slightly bigger frame. Having said that, I think Paul Hewitt tends to favour longer stems than is considered conventional.

rollinstok

The Ultra is a lovely bike, just not £1800 lovely when compared to what else is available.
At less than £1300, I'd agree it is well worth considering

PpPete

Legendary Member
+1
I recently bought a Galaxy Ultra via my Company C2W scheme (the custom route wasn't an option) and am delighted with it - very comfortable, responsive and the quality of the components is excellent. Not had a single problem with it after a 1,000+ miles, so I also don't understand the "Dawes has lost their way" comments.

My take on it is that they are no longer innovative - sure they jumped on the Ti frame bandwagon, but long after others had pioneered, also comparing like for like equipment wise, there are usually others offering better vfm - even with the massive discounts you can find on Dawes. Not saying they are bad bikes in any way, just that they are no longer at the top of the heap like they were when I bought my Galaxy in the late 1980s.

And FWIW - if I were off to India, I'd not hesitate to take the Galaxy, maybe swop the current 25 mm tyres for something chunkier though !

Camrider

Bearing in mind where you are planning to ride you might want to consider a 26" wheeled tourer. Easier to get spares in the back of beyond than 700c's and you can fit some nice chunky tyres to cope with poor road surfaces.

The Thorn Sherpa is in your budget range and it can be configured to your own spec including the choice of drop or straight bars. The bike is built for world touring so is worth a look at.

Hi, I have just built up a Hewitt Alpine (columbus airplane alloy) from a frame I bought from them. I also own a Cannondale T1000 - which was a 25th birthday present in 1997. I have limited experience of the Galaxy, but recently tried a super galaxy.

Firstly I have cycled to Spain and back to Paris and back twice and to Amsterdam and back on the Cannondale, and to be honest I felt that it was a nicer ride than the Dawes... however, that might just be because I am so familiar with it, like a pair of comfy old shoes.

The Hewitt was bought to replace a carbon racing bike, as I wanted something a little more relaxed, with mudguards, but sportier than the Cannondale. What an absolutely fantastic bike - it was built up with my racing bike's Campagnolo group set, so it is geared a bit high and has 20C tyres. It somehow combines the comfort almost as good as the Cannondale with the responses close to my old racing bike. It has lugs for a rack, so with a set of 25c tyres, I think would make a great touring bike.

Anyway, if it was my money, I would go for the Hewitt - have a think whether the Cheviott or Alpine would be better - really depends on what type of riding you will be doing (if the majority of riding is fully laden then the Cheviott would be better). Also consider what type of components you want - personally I prefer Campagnolo groupset on a road bike and shimano on a mountain bike

Just to add a bit extra, I borrowed a Thorn (Possibly Sherpa) for a long ride last year. It was unbelievably comfortable and clearly able to go massive distance, however, it was even less sporty than my Cannondale - If I was going to cycle accross Africa or India, this is the bike I would choose - not because of reliability (My Cannondale has been a paragon of reliability) but for the comfort

I also have Trek Team Titanium mountain bike from 1996 - It is currently fitted out as a touring bike with mudguards and rack and semi slick road tyres as I was using it for touring the new forest. It actually feels very similar to the Thorn. I am about to revert to Mountain bike spec though

I really have too many bike.... and that is not even all of them

Matt

Danny

Legendary Member
I'm another Paul Hewitt fan. Before I bought a Cheviot I spent nearly two hours having my bike fitting session and talking through the different build options for the bike. He made some significant changes to my riding position which really helped to improve the lower back problems I had been having, and my Cheviot is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.

jags

Guru
I'm another Paul Hewitt fan. Before I bought a Cheviot I spent nearly two hours having my bike fitting session and talking through the different build options for the bike. He made some significant changes to my riding position which really helped to improve the lower back problems I had been having, and my Cheviot is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.
danny not doubting you in any way but what exactly did this man do to make you more comfy on your bike.:whistle:

Danny

Legendary Member
danny not doubting you in any way but what exactly did this man do to make you more comfy on your bike.:whistle:
He changed my riding position quite significantly. The main difference was that he advised me to have a longer stem so I was in a more stretched out position, whereas in the past many other people had advised me to cycle in a more upright position. Paul's theory was that by being more bent over I put more weight on my arms rather than the small of my back. Prior to the bike fitting session I was often in severe pain after riding for just an hour, whereas now I can spend my of the day in the saddle with just some minor stiffness.

Paul also spent a long time sorting out my seat and handlebar height so all in all the bike now feels like it fits like a glove.

jags

Guru
He changed my riding position quite significantly. The main difference was that he advised me to have a longer stem so I was in a more stretched out position, whereas in the past many other people had advised me to cycle in a more upright position. Paul's theory was that by being more bent over I put more weight on my arms rather than the small of my back. Prior to the bike fitting session I was often in severe pain after riding for just an hour, whereas now I can spend my of the day in the saddle with just some minor stiffness.

Paul also spent a long time sorting out my seat and handlebar height so all in all the bike now feels like it fits like a glove.
thanks for that Danny yeah its amazing what a few centimeters can do here and there .
glad all has worked out for you.

OP
OP
Jamesandpie

Jamesandpie

Thanks for everyones advice and useful information. I did couple more weeks of researching and looking for bargains and ended up going for a Santos Travelmaster 2.6 Alu.
Whilst I was very tempted by the Ultra Galaxy and Hewitt, I felt that if I ended up on some dodgy roads in South China or in the middle of nowhere in Kazakhstan I would be happier on an strong expedition bike with 26" wheels, and huge tyre clearances.

I also managed to find one for a steal at £900 which had been ridden less than 500 miles and only 18 months old. The guy bought it new for £2000 and due to an accident could no longer ride so wanted to get rid of it! I've had it for a month now and I'm pretty happy with it.

It's not the lightest of bikes and I felt a bit left behind when a Super Galaxy and a Claud Butler Dalesman overtook me on the commute this week, and thought am I really going that slow!

Now to start planning some touring!

anyway, here are some piccys

stephenjubb

Über Member
when it comes to a monutain bike for touring there is always certain advice on what to get (i.e avoid suspension etc). your bike seeks to tick all the criteria boxes, looks good. well done.

Top Bottom