Dawes vs Ridgeback.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Hi all

I was previously a very keen cyclist until old injuries (and age) took their toll on me a couple of years ago. I have been pottering about on an e-bike for a while but have now reached a stage where I feel well enough to get another 'real bike'.

I'll be using it to up my fitness and plan to do so, initially, by riding to places where I would normally drive to (Supermarket etc) to slowly build my fitness up to a point where I can do longer rides.

I am not looking at anything fancy, just a functional bike that will serve me well for the above and to a point where I can ride for longer distances comfortably. One of the criteria for me is that it must be an upright ride as one of the injuries I have is a badly, and permanently, herniated disc in my neck where 'craning' causes me a problem. Therefore, having done some research, I have narrowed it down to these two:

1 - Ridgeback Speed

https://www.evanscycles.com/ridgeback-speed-2017-hybrid-bike-EV289217

2 - Dawes Discovery 201

https://www.evanscycles.com/dawes-discovery-201-2017-hybrid-bike-EV274333

I'd previously been a big fan of Ridgeback bikes but have also read good things about the Dawes. I want the bike to last me a long time so would value any advice on the better buy please.

Thanks a lot.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Of the two you like, I would go for the Ridgeback. The reason being that it comes with rear rack & mudguards already fitted.

I would certainly suggest taking them both out for a test ride & go with which is most comfortable.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Thank you. The Ridgeback certainly comes 'ready to ride' so that is an attraction. The Dawes has an adjustable stem but I believe these are easily fitted.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Well, I took the plunge today and ordered the Ridgeback. The shop I deal with orders them but doesn't carry stock and, for a little while, they were advising me that a Giant may be a better option, albeit £120 dearer. However they weren't pushy at all and when I said I wanted the Ridgeback they were happy enough to order it for me.

So, pushed the button on the C2W Scheme this evening and am just waiting for the voucher now. Am actually looking forward to it even though I know it will be hard work for a while.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
Good stuff, you won't go wrong with the Ridgeback.

Having owned a mixture of Dawes Touring bikes i now own a 2017 Ridgeback Tour and i must say its just as good as the Dawes. They do seem to be very close together on all the range.

I hope you enjoy your new bike !

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Good stuff, you won't go wrong with the Ridgeback.

Having owned a mixture of Dawes Touring bikes i now own a 2017 Ridgeback Tour and i must say its just as good as the Dawes. They do seem to be very close together on all the range.

I hope you enjoy your new bike !

Thank you. It's good to hear that they are still getting positive reviews and I only had good things to say about them when I owned them previously.

I am really looking forward to getting it now and spent a couple of hours in the shed this evening rooting through all the old bits I have seeing what I had for it. Amazing how much stuff I appear to have hoarded over the years when I cycled regularly. I unearthed two Ortlieb roll top panniers that I forgot I even had so they will be very handy for storing stuff in; even if it's just a run to the supermarket or something.

The thing I am looking forward to most, assuming I stick to it, is better fitness. My plan is to replace a lot of the short car journeys I make today with rides wherever possible.

It may mean spending less in the supermarket as well :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom