Dawes Windrush

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zade1975

Hi everyone,
I have just picked up a Dawes Windrush and I'm struggling to find any information about the model, I've found lots of images but I'm getting a little confused if they are all Windrush's as some have the gear shifters on fixed mounts on the top bar and some have them banded on the down tube. I will try and get some images up when i figure out how to

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Can we see the bike?

OP
OP
zade1975

zade1975

Hope this works
20150215_165452.jpg

20150215_165519.jpg

20150215_165852.jpg

20150215_165504.jpg

This has come up before, I am sure a google on the CTC, and other touring / vintage sites will give some information

IIRC it was a predecessor to the Dawes Galaxy and a top of the range tourer. It ceased productionin the early 1960's

I also remember that there were at a stage where there were different models which explains the difference in gearing options
U
This is a site I bookmarked a while ago, but includes the catalogue page for the Windrush

Daw.JPG

Attachments

• Daw.JPG
    Daw.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 293
This has come up before, I am sure a google on the CTC, and other touring / vintage sites will give some information

IIRC it was a predecessor to the Dawes Galaxy and a top of the range tourer. It ceased productionin the early 1960's

I also remember that there were at a stage where there were different models which explains the difference in gearing options
U
This is a site I bookmarked a while ago, but includes the catalogue page for the Windrush

Daw.JPG

Attachments

• Daw.JPG
    Daw.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
zade1975

zade1975

Cheers Cunobelin,

I've googled it to death, most results are for posts just like mine asking for info but non ever seem to get a good answer,

I've even searched on ebay to see what parts/complete bikes are listed but to no avail,

thank you for your reply though

ChrisEyles

Guru
What a fantastic bike! Love the handlebars, and the top tube mounted shifter. Looks like an unusually large jump between the front chainrings for such an old bike, but great for a tourer.

Hope you enjoy it!

Jeff L

Hi everyone,
I have just picked up a Dawes Windrush and I'm struggling to find any information about the model, I've found lots of images but I'm getting a little confused if they are all Windrush's as some have the gear shifters on fixed mounts on the top bar and some have them banded on the down tube. I will try and get some images up when i figure out how to
Hi everyone,

Hope this works! Got a bit lost on the site.

I have a Dawes Windrush which I was given in about 1960. It was a touring bike with Reynolds 531 tubing, Weinmann centre-pull brakes, Brookes saddle, panier carriers and 8-speed wide ratio gears which I thought were very cool. I loved the white rubber brake and gear lever grips. Terrific for hill-climbing and I often did 100 mile runs into the Peak District from Manchester. The main problem with it (in my example) was the failure of the back wheel hub to stay in place - the power exerted in bottom gear was such that the hub would suddenly shift in its brackets, causing the tyre to rub against the frame. Result: I had to push the bike home using the front wheel only. Problem never solved until I changed the whole gear and chainwheel system many years later to Suntour. Haven;t used it for a while but I'm sure it would still work OK. Hope this helps.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
that looks a great find and nice project

Birdman

Regular
Hi, I'm a new member so be gentle. I have researched the topic of the Dawes Windrush and come up with about the same amount of info everyone else has kindly provided. Reason for this is that I have in my possession this very bike. I had planned and may actual restore it. I hope to post up pics soon. It was a family members, recently deceased. It is the rarer earlier bike in black with the gear shifters on the top tube, brooks saddle etc. Really quite light for its time. I know it was really used as it has a badge on it from a cycling club . I hope to post up pics soon and will either restore it or put it up for sale so that someone else can enjoy it.....

Top Bottom