Dazzled by bikes rear light.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
As I rode home the other afternoon I was dazzled to the point of distraction by the rider in fronts back light. It was obviously a very powerful light but it was also angled directly into my face. It was in fact bright enough to cut out quite a bit from my field of view and was definitely distracting.

I came close to trying to talk to him about it but decided against it on the grounds that I thought it was probably better that he be easily seen than I just drop back a bit. Now I've had time to think about it I think I should tried to very politely say something to him about perhaps angling it down a bit. It would still be as visible but not distracting to other cyclists and perhaps cars as well.

Any thoughts? What would you have done?

Depends, if it someone I know or see regularly I might say something. A random I probably wouldn't.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Modified some NOS rear dynamo lights by fitting up with LED's and battery power. (Aesthetics? for vintage bikes without the hassle of dynamo and stand light issues). Was really pleased with how bright they were, till my son made the same observation as the OP averred to. Glad he did as I then angled them down slightly and solved the problem. Lights I use to keep safe not dazzle fellow road users and possibly create an unsafe situation.
In light (no pun intended) of the foregoing I would have let the other rider know of the situation for his own safety.

The trick is old brakes and an old handlebar .....

I have ultra LEDS on machines, but have mounted a short length of tubing using old brake washers as spacers

This way you can angle the tubing down to avoid glare, but still be bright

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You saw the bike and were acutely aware of its presence. Presumably exactly the sort of response the rider of said machine wants to get from those operating a-tonne-and-a-half of metal at high relative speed in the vicinity of his harris.

I'm personally a big fan of the pool of red light on the road, a la fossyant, AND a big red glare right in the face of the drivers as they get all up close and personal just in case they forget I'm there when doing something important like changing tracks on their CD or removing the fluff from their navel or sending a text. I drive and I've driven past cyclists with lights as bright, or brighter than mine. Not been so bedazzled as to crash the car yet.

Keith Oates

Janner
I was on a ride earlier in the year where one rider had a very bright rear light that actually hurt my eyes, I did my best not to follow him for very long but if it had been someone I knew then I would have said something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

broadway

Veteran
You saw the bike and were acutely aware of its presence. Presumably exactly the sort of response the rider of said machine wants to get from those operating a-tonne-and-a-half of metal at high relative speed in the vicinity of his harris.

I'm personally a big fan of the pool of red light on the road, a la fossyant, AND a big red glare right in the face of the drivers as they get all up close and personal just in case they forget I'm there when doing something important like changing tracks on their CD or removing the fluff from their navel or sending a text. I drive and I've driven past cyclists with lights as bright, or brighter than mine. Not been so bedazzled as to crash the car yet.

It's worth bearing in mind that just because you don't find this a problem, other drivers may not be able to handle glare as well as you.

While I don't have much of a problem with glare, both my wife and one of daughters are don't handle glare as well as I do.

Also age has a bearing http://www.brake.org.uk/info-resour.../15-facts-a-resources/facts/490-older-drivers

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's worth bearing in mind that just because you don't find this a problem, other drivers may not be able to handle glare as well as you.

While I don't have much of a problem with glare, both my wife and one of daughters are don't handle glare as well as I do.

Also age has a bearing http://www.brake.org.uk/info-resour.../15-facts-a-resources/facts/490-older-drivers
I find myself broadly lacking in sympathy for the predicament of those who don't handle glare well. As an older driver myself, much nearer to 65 than 15, doubly so.

I have never ever been so bedazzled by a bicycle's lights, front or rear, that it has presented a moment's problem when driving/cycling. When driving/cycling at night I don't think I've ever completed a journey in recent years when the headlights of at least one oncoming car did not cause me a problem for several seconds.

Make of that what you will but for me, the risks and hazards posed by overly bright cycle lights and dazzling car headlights simply do not bear reasoned comparison.

EDIT: I'm an advocate for compulsory retesting of all drivers at five year intervals, much more stringent eye tests and annual testing for those over 65 but the Daily Mail readership would have me strung up.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
"Last year's" lights:whistle:

Double it now !
DSCF4799.jpg

wait4me

Veteran
Last week on the B6403 High Dike between Grantham and Ancaster (Lincs) I saw what I though was a red traffic light over 2 miles ahead as I got closer I was confused as it appeared to be flashing. When I eventually caught it I was amazed to see it was someone on a road bike with a really bright rear light on flashing mode.
This is not a moan but well done whoever you are, that light is fantastic and must have cost at least 3 figures.
Well done you for spending the money wisely.
If I had looked directly at the light I am sure it would have dazzled me, but so do oncoming headlights if you look at them. All that's needed is to keep any bright light in the periphery of your vision and you are not dazzled.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm as guilty as anyone of using obnoxiously bright rear lights when commuting or using my bike for transport, and I make no apology: it's dog eat dog[*] out there. But on group rides ... just no. Turn it down or angle it down

[*] pretty sure this comparison is actually rubbish. IME most dogs eat dog food, and I think wolves tend to go more for hoofed animals than preying on their own kind.

Reactions: gaz
Well, Not that I'm out that much at night but am in low light conditions and I say The more visible you are Lights Hy Viz Reflective strips the better Because I know that if I was to be hit (as I have been and that was in full light too and I was wearing Hy viz) Their reply would " sorry mate I never saw you" That’s if you were able to have a go at them! But having said that 95% of other motorised road users are very good though I can only comment on my local area I would think looking at the cycle related collisions that occur in large conurbations
the odds are for collisions are considerably higher!
P.s I’ve discovered a spelling check thing in MS word all I need now is an automatic thing that puts commas and full stops in the right places

Top Bottom