Dead Badgers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
On the rural roads round these parts I occasionally find a dead badger by the side of the road, hit by a vehicle. Anyways, on yesterday's ride, I found 3, all about 10 yards apart, who seemed to have no obvious signs of injury... suspecting foul play, I phoned the RSPCA, who sent a chap out to investigate... he found them, and phoned me to say all 3 must have been hit by a vehicle together... unusual, I'd have thought... I suspect a conspiracy involving UFOs, lizard people and probably Keith Chegwin.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did read somewhere that farmers sometimes kill them and dump them on the roadside to hide the blame.
It may be apocryphal

mr Mag00

rising member
rich p it is true, i will try to find the source but i read somewhere about a group who were getting corpses xray'd and many contained shot and had not been hit by vehicles

buddha

Veteran
There's one on a local road that's getting bigger. It's been there for the last few days at least. Strangely it seems to have changed position every time I've been pass. Definitely don't want to be there when it goes pop!

One the same road, a few years ago, there was a flattened badger that had dried out in the sun. One day I somehow forgot what it was and rode over itxx(

MarkF

Guru
rich p said:
I did read somewhere that farmers sometimes kill them and dump them on the roadside to hide the blame.
It may be apocryphal

That explains it then. Last week in the Dales I saw plenty of dead foxes on the verges, freshly expired, plump, not flat, no visible signs of injury:sad:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Sounds they are a bit like buses don't see any for ages then three turn up at once!

Dead badgers are not as common as they used to be in my neck of the woods. I used to classify my audaxes by the number of badgers that I'd see on a 100km ride. A three badger ride was quite rare, a two badger ride less rare and I'd be surprised if I completed a nil badger ride.

In the Carmargue, I got really excited when I saw my first coypu roadkill. The excitement and novelty wore off when the body count reached ten in fifteen kilometres or so and the compulsion to keep count died with the eleventh coypu.

02GF74

Über Member
i saw one on sunday - its jawas exposed looked much like a grizzly .... so are badgers members of the bear family?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
radger said:
Not the bear family, the weasels.

I saw four stoats run out into the road ahead of me yesterday then do a quick u-turn and disappear into the verge.

Any idea what the collective noun is for stoats?

Top Bottom