Dealing with abuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Try being a larger woman on a bike :angry:

I have received the odd sexist comment from female drivers over the years, and while it never bothered me directly it narked me in a roundabout because I'd never dream of saying anything like that to a female.

Perhaps having four daughters makes me more enlightened? I dunno. Either way, no matter how tall, short, big or small someone is, if they're running, cycling, or even walking instead of driving, then they get my respect for simply being out there and doing it.

Don't let the arrisholes ever put you off, because by being on a bike you're already better than them.

I have had a couple of things shouted at me that were abusive

but most things that get shouted I have no clue what they are saying
I know my hearing is a bit strange - apparently it is good "for my age" but I have problems understanding the words unless I have a syllable or two to hook into it

so a one/two word shout from a car going past at 40-50 had no chance - what with doplar and wind all that

so presumably several cars full of teenage/twenties lads think I'm an amazingly sexy specimen of manhood
probably
I didn;t get a word of it but what else could it be???

and in any case - I worked out a long long time ago that w*****s are best allowed to go past and keep going - at least if they then crash I can avoid their collision rather than being part of it

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Because I'm rarely in a happy place myself I typically respond with instant vitriol and aggression.. Thankfully this has never played out into an actual face-to-face standoff, although in the heat of the moment following my life being endangered by someone's arrogance or stupidity I could literally tear the head off a kitten..

In better times I'm happy to let genuine indiscretions slide, or passive-aggressively antagonise knobheads with an overly cheerful and friendly response..

Slick

Guru
Because I'm rarely in a happy place myself I typically respond with instant vitriol and aggression.. Thankfully this has never played out into an actual face-to-face standoff, although in the heat of the moment following my life being endangered by someone's arrogance or stupidity I could literally tear the head off a kitten..

In better times I'm happy to let genuine indiscretions slide, or passive-aggressively antagonise knobheads with an overly cheerful and friendly response..

To be fair, I think we are all capable of reacting poorly to close calls depending on where we are at, I know I have in the past. It would be great if we were all perfect. :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I wouldn't do it myself because with my luck I would be the one who came up against a Kenneth Noye type; but I do welcome those cyclists who choose to be confrontational, especially those who drag the offending driver/passenger from their tin box and administer some attitude therapy. It might just help to prevent future occurrences of cyclists being the target of abuse - because let's face it, a big part of the reason we are targeted is because we are seen as soft targets. We need more Arnie Schwarzeneggers like @Drago out there on bikes!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Try being a larger woman on a bike :angry:
I'm not that large (I'm old instead lol) but yes, I have had my fair share of stuff shouted at me.
Only once it got scary: a driver objected me riding the road, stopped, put his hazards on, then came out of the car, proceeded to shout at me.
I didn't slow him down at all, there was no other traffic apart from us, so I haven't got a clue what happened there.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I mean the verbal kind....like youre riding along minding your own business and someone calls you an fffing ****er just for being on a bike....or someones passing manouver has been delayed for 10 secs so they give you a mouthful as they come by....or car load of youths pass within an inch plus laughter and abuse...I expect the majority here have experienced this and it upsets some more than others.
For me i have a kinda David Attenborough approach.....Im wandering through jungle/desert/savanna wherever and recognising/categorizing various species and when confronted with a lesser spotted red r'sed baboon just recognise the type and continue on my way. Occasionally ive given the middle finger when appropriate or responded in kind but its rare these days as im a wiser, more intelligent, better looking [old fart] :laugh:

If they might be able to do you harm, ignore.

If you're in a safe position and confident you can evade them, blow them a kiss.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I try not to react, try to ignore it.

Happy being on my bike & if some sad-act wants to do the funky gibbon it just makes me smile.

The one time I did get stopped by an angry abusive driver he ended up with a conviction for a public order offence thanks to the camera on my helmet.

I rarely do this but I sold the licensing rights to the video on Youtube to ViralHog, and Mr Angrypants's antics ended up making me a couple of hundred quid in ad revenue as well as his day in court costing him over £1200!!

Silly chump!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I prefer the Freudian interpretation: whether it's something with a Loud Exhaust For No Reason, three tons of 600 bhp Chelsea tractor, someone verbally abusive or tailgating and/or close passing, they're probably over-compensating, and they think six inches is huge. Or as I usually say to myself, 'Tiny Penis'.

Top Bottom