Dealing with crosswinds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
what is it with the wind over the past week???? today has been the first time i've felt like venturing out. just checked the weather for this week. Monday 18mph, Tuesday 28mph !!!!!! Wednesday 7mph (i'll be riding) and then back up to 18mph thereafter. and rain rain rain. thought the Met Office promised summer this year?

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Another Joe, here...just to avoid confusion, you can call me Bruce.

I've mentioned this before, but, due to the crosswind subject coming up again, I'll toss it back out there.

WATCH OUT for large vehicles passing on the windward side! When riding with a crosswind, you are leaning against it, whether or not you realize it. When something like a bus passes, the wind is suddenly stopped, and you will feel as if you're being pulled into the side of the bus! Be ready for it!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Had a lovely ride in this morning. Deeply windy from the front and side. The bent deals with the former by slipping past unnoticed, but then gets quite wild when she's blown from the side.

Fortunately, I was able to employ a flag bearer up front to give early indication of each gust. Latched onto the wheel of a cyclist wearing an Altura hot air balloon, and followed him in.

Still, Wandsworth Bridge was kinda hairy. Lots of wind+traffic there.

Top Bottom