Dealing with impatient drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FitMum

Regular
I think many cyclists of not all at some point have to deal with impatient drivers. These days I see many more cyclists on the road as due to the lockdown many people started cycling, which I think is great and much healthier than just hopping in a car when you can cycle. I am not saying not to drive at all, as I also need my car, but have been trying to cycle and walk wherever I can.

Anyway, dealing with impatient drivers was one of the things that was stopping me for years not to go on the road, and only stick to my mountain bike. Silly really, and am so pleased I have my husband who pushed me the extra bit I needed to go for it and am loving it. Most of the drivers are ok, and there are a few who even give you a way when they don't need to. I am always polite and say a THANK YOU. But of course, there are a few who feel the need to beep at you, swear and gesture.... how do you deal with these drivers?

vickster

Legendary Member
Ignore, mutter under breath or shake head. Occasionally, they get the finger and a few choice words mouthed! :blush:

Zanelad

Guru
I flip them my middle finger and swear loudly at them. However, im 6'2", 16 stone and with a face only a mother (and Mrs Z) could love. People think twice. By then we're usually moving again.

I'd sugeest ignoring them, unless you my long lost twin of course.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Simple. I do not deal with them. Ever. Highway Code Rule 147. Don't get involved. They've got tons of motorised metal. I've got a push bike. I try to avoid most unnecessary things that are likely to spark a confrontation because it probably won't end well for me.

If they're really really crap, then report them to the police, ideally with timestamped video or photos, but that's pretty rare (I've reported maybe eight in 40+ years).

That said, I do know that some people offer the driver Gold Blend (think about the hand gesture) and others ask if there are one or two in the car, but only when they're safely where you can see them. I don't recommend it. I have been known on rare occasions to "bless" a motorist - because they're going to need divine help to live very long, they drive so badly!

Beware those who give way when they shouldn't. Sometimes they're not giving way to you, but holding back for another reason, or beckoning an oncoming motorist to run you over (carelessly rather than maliciously, I hope). Only go when you feel it is safe to do so and don't feel pressure to go because someone gave way.

Finally, about the ones who "beep at you"... I get beeped far more often by people I know than road ragers, so I smile and wave - I can't remember what everyone I know drives and it's difficult to see in sometimes. Ironically, when that is a road rager, this reaction seems to confuse them!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I don't deal with impatient drivers but I do assert my right to ride in the correct position for any set of circumstances.

This can lead to some drivers being impatient but I am in fact cycling in a manner which is safe for me and also benefits the impatient driver behind me. If I were to cower in the curb it's going to create problems all round.

If they get really cross I find a cheery wave and smile takes the p*** quite nicely. Then of course there are the times they get a mouthful though I doubt it's heard. 😀

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I haven't had many issues, but one can't help but think that even with my large stature, i WILL NOT win a fight with a car and who knows what the driver is packing these days. Simply put, its not worth dealing with them. Your best defence is being totally aware and also have a camera if you feel up to it, at least you can report incidents in the hope it educates...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't had many issues, but one can't help but think that even with my large stature, i WILL NOT win a fight with a car and who knows what the driver is packing these days. Simply put, its not worth dealing with them.
I have posted several times about the cyclist murdered by an angry motorist in Coventry so I won't do that again here, but you are absolutely right - car vs cyclist, car wins!

It really is better to resist getting into arguments with fools and psychos. Here is an illustration of what some of those people are like (from a forum ride report by @Littgull)....

Now to the scary incident I mentioned at the start. We had only been riding about 35 minutes or so. We had just turned up the Bacup Road and ridden a few hundred yards when the driver of this black car raced past us, sounding his horn in an absolute manic frenzy. He stopped just in front of us, shouted obscenities at us and accused us of damaging his car. This was not a measured verbal attack, he was absolutely demented in his rage! The totally weird thing was that neither of us had been anywhere near his car let alone touch it. Thomas told me afterwards that he had noticed a cracked wing mirror but that was nothing whatsoever to do with us. We hadn’t even passed him prior to him racing in front of us and starting his rant. At first, as I was a few yards in front of Thomas at the time (the only time in the whole ride ha ha) I went over to the passenger window in a futile attempt to tell the driver he was completely mistaken. But it instantly became apparent that this guy was totally beyond reason. He continued shouting obscenities and started walking towards us threatening to ‘do both of us in’ and ‘put us in his car boot!’ We tried to remain calm and both instinctively knew it was not worth arguing with this worryingly dangerous individual. He threw a heavy metal door hinge at us which mercifully missed us. Thomas later, very aptly described him as ‘unhinged’ – he sure was, in more ways than one. We quickly sidestepped him and rode on. It doesn’t end there! With that, he got back into his car, we could hear his engine rev up loudly, he put his foot down and raced past us again still shouting threats and obscenities. He then got out of his car some 50 yards up from us on the other side of the road, continued to make severe threats and shout obscenities. We stayed frozen to the spot. Meanwhile, as we had reached a point that was opposite some houses two local residents heard this commotion and also expressed horror at this nutter’s behaviour. Finally, he got back into his car still shouting obscenities and raced off in the direction of Bacup. We were extremely shook up.

:eek::eek:

... how do you deal with these drivers?

There is little you can do/deal with them so
* Ride defensively/in primary
* Get a camera and report them if dangerous
* Mutter / ignore / wave / ... whatever you want, but that's for your own benefit, the driver won't really care, they're in the right.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
how do you deal with these drivers?

There is little you can do/deal with them so
* Ride defensively/in primary
* Get a camera and report them if dangerous
* Mutter / ignore / wave / ... whatever you want, but that's for your own benefit, the driver won't really care, they're in the right.

-----

Keeping in mind that some of these may antagonise impatient drivers even further. A majority of drivers wont care, They have sated their MGIF impulses where as the crazies might resort to physical or verbal abuse (or at least a threats of physical abuse)

I can comfortably cruise at 18-22mph and sprint a bit higher than that and people still honk me despite me not holding them up and sticking with the traffic ahead.

You've just got to accept that some people have baseball bats stuck up their arse when they get into the drivers seat of a car. Unless the media like the Daily Mail can stop stirring the pot to get people all riled up about cyclists and the police being enough of a presence, big enough of a force and proactive enough to issue penalties for bad behaviour. People will carry on with the poor attitudes & contempt they have for people on two wheels.

I have posted several times about the cyclist murdered by an angry motorist in Coventry so I won't do that again here, but you are absolutely right - car vs cyclist, car wins!

It really is better to resist getting into arguments with fools and psychos. Here is an illustration of what some of those people are like (from a forum ride report by @Littgull)....

:eek::eek:
Crikey Colin, recalling that horrendous incident brought fear induced goose pimples on to my arms! Thankfully, I've not encountered anything as bad as that since then. But only slightly less scary is that I posted that ride report over 3 years ago! Where on earth has that time gone?

Seriously though, I totally agree with the advice that to resist confronting these morons is by far the best approach.

Simple. I do not deal with them. Ever. Highway Code Rule 147. Don't get involved. They've got tons of motorised metal. I've got a push bike. I try to avoid most unnecessary things that are likely to spark a confrontation because it probably won't end well for me.

If they're really really crap, then report them to the police, ideally with timestamped video or photos, but that's pretty rare (I've reported maybe eight in 40+ years).

That said, I do know that some people offer the driver Gold Blend (think about the hand gesture) and others ask if there are one or two in the car, but only when they're safely where you can see them. I don't recommend it. I have been known on rare occasions to "bless" a motorist - because they're going to need divine help to live very long, they drive so badly!

Beware those who give way when they shouldn't. Sometimes they're not giving way to you, but holding back for another reason, or beckoning an oncoming motorist to run you over (carelessly rather than maliciously, I hope). Only go when you feel it is safe to do so and don't feel pressure to go because someone gave way.

Finally, about the ones who "beep at you"... I get beeped far more often by people I know than road ragers, so I smile and wave - I can't remember what everyone I know drives and it's difficult to see in sometimes. Ironically, when that is a road rager, this reaction seems to confuse them!

I agree with you............in theory.

Yesterday I was going round a large roundabout I regularly use with no problem. Not much traffic and I had been on the roundabout for about 30 yards when I sensed someone coming up behind me. He was in a van and rather than sit in behind me to turn off (I still had one more exit and wasn't dawdling), he accelerated round me and swerved in front of me, just missing me, to make his exit in time. I normally ignore such idiots but this time I swore and gave him the finger. It didn't affect him, he even beeped the horn at me as he drove off, but it made me feel better for a short time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom