Dealing with impatient drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There are some Spanish cities, Alicante springs to mind, where cycle lanes go right up the middle of one way narrow city centre streets. It took me a while to get used to the fact that Spanish drivers just accepted that the cyclist had priority.

It's astonishing isn't it??

When you're used to being treated like vermin, to suddenly have this 'parting of the ways' power.

You almost feel like royalty in comparison, when cycling on the continent..

Soo, what's the deal with French and Spanish drivers via a vis cyclists then??

The other places nearby to here, with equivalent roads, that I've ridden..

It's almost embarrassing the amount of time and space they'll give you..

Patiently crawling up the hill behind you when in truth there is room to pass, but they won't dream of transgressing the centre line.

Is it something in the wine??

How do we import this attitude??

That's interesting, because last week in France I felt cars were passing closer than around Freiburg, possibly because in Germany they now say you have to give 2m to cyclists. That said, traffic was generally slower so I didn't feel particularly threatened.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That's interesting, because last week in France I felt cars were passing closer than around Freiburg, possibly because in Germany they now say you have to give 2m to cyclists. That said, traffic was generally slower so I didn't feel particularly threatened.

I guess it's all relative.

My new farm trainee is German, and also a keen cyclist.

Thankfully similar size and type of bike to mine, so we can go for rides together.

Will be interesting to see what she thinks of British road craft..

She's done a couple of trips here already, and not remarked on anything unusual so far -

- Maybe too polite to say ... Just Yet.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Any engagement with an impatient driver is just likely to spoil the rest of your bike ride. So try and maintain an oasis of serenity. But also don’t be cowed into hovering in the gutter or the door zone. Assert your road position to keep yourself self. For instance to stop poor overtakes where the road narrows.

On the flip side I do acknowledge safe driving around me where possible. To help reinforce that behaviour.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Any engagement with an impatient driver is just likely to spoil the rest of your bike ride. So try and maintain an oasis of serenity. But also don’t be cowed into hovering in the gutter or the door zone. Assert your road position to keep yourself self. For instance to stop poor overtakes where the road narrows.

On the flip side I do acknowledge safe driving around me where possible. To help reinforce that behaviour.

Yes acknowledging considerate behaviour is definitely worth it..

Having said that I might blow a slightly sarky kiss to an @rshol too.

So they don't get the satisfaction of thinking they've annoyed me :rolleyes:

Top Bottom