Dealing with impatient drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Crikey Colin, recalling that horrendous incident brought fear induced goose pimples on to my arms! Thankfully, I've not encountered anything as bad as that since then. But only slightly less scary is that I posted that ride report over 3 years ago! Where on earth has that time gone?
Yes, it is worrying about the apparent acceleration of time... just as we start to run out of it! :laugh:

As for mad motorists... I was riding back towards Summit this evening from Calderbrook and a driver overtook me at less than arm's length doing an estimated 40-50 mph. I heard him coming but didn't expect the pass to be that close so I was, er, 'somewhat startled'! :eek:

I thought that there could only be 3 possible explanations:
  1. The driver's brain was so defective that he genuinely believed that it was safe to overtake me that close, that fast. (I doubt it!)
  2. He was distracted by something - checking email on his smartphone, watching a DVD, reading a book etc. (They sound ludicrous, but drivers are regularly stopped by the police for doing those things.) I don't think it was due to distraction because the car never deviated at all from its trajectory. I think that it was going exactly where the driver intended it to go. Which leaves...
  3. The man was a sociopath who knew exactly what he was doing and got a kick out of scaring me!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I try to be observant, assertive, defensive, courteous and fair. People generally get back what they give. It pleases me to accommodate others and express gratitude towards those who've shown consideration towards me, just as I can't help myself making my opinion known to those who endanger me and / or other road users with their (for whatever reason) bloody awful driving.

I'm seriously fleshing out the idea of getting some sort of very loud horn - was thinking perhaps a typical bulb-type vintage comedy item, but with a reasonably high pressure air source plumbed in. I bet the comedy clown honk-honk would endear you to the more alert pedestrians while the modification could be used to wake up more stubborn / selfish individuals and wayward drivers.

silva

Über Member
These days I see many more cyclists on the road as due to the lockdown many people started cycling, which I think is great and much healthier than just hopping in a car when you can cycle. I am not saying not to drive at
Those people didn't start cycling, State banned them from doing their job, from driving, from coming together, ...
And that was in a summer weather environment. See what will happen when it turns wet and cold.

I have no problem with impatient drivers. Mostly simply because I anticipate and give a sign that they can pass. Because a car let alone a truck, with the crap governments filled the once wide streets with, I can understand them.

I've concluded that it's often nothing to do with me: maybe they're stressed at home or work or just having a rough day.

I find smiling and waving keeps me calm and happy.

Of course, angry stressed people are often looking for a conflict so thay can justify taking it out on someone, so being friendly probably annoys them more than anything else I could do...

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Depends on my mood at the time.
Depression has me all over the place so some days I'll smile and wave then get out of their way, other days the red mist descends and all rational thought goes out the window. In my little 5'4" weedy painfully restrained body, I'll give as much as I get. Doesn't matter if they're 6'4" and built like a brick poop house.
It'll get me put in hospital or worse one day. :wacko:

Solocle

Über Member
1594981322927.png

1594981357622.png

1594981382204.png

Enjoy how the car behind the impatient van driver to the opportunity to get in front!

All uphill

Still rolling along
I try not to get involved at the time, but I do report them later if in a sign written vehicle.

I am also active in the local cycling and walking campaign. I don't believe things will improve if we don't take action.

OP
OP
FitMum

FitMum

Regular
Simple. I do not deal with them. Ever. Highway Code Rule 147. Don't get involved. They've got tons of motorised metal. I've got a push bike. I try to avoid most unnecessary things that are likely to spark a confrontation because it probably won't end well for me.

If they're really really crap, then report them to the police, ideally with timestamped video or photos, but that's pretty rare (I've reported maybe eight in 40+ years).

That said, I do know that some people offer the driver Gold Blend (think about the hand gesture) and others ask if there are one or two in the car, but only when they're safely where you can see them. I don't recommend it. I have been known on rare occasions to "bless" a motorist - because they're going to need divine help to live very long, they drive so badly!

Beware those who give way when they shouldn't. Sometimes they're not giving way to you, but holding back for another reason, or beckoning an oncoming motorist to run you over (carelessly rather than maliciously, I hope). Only go when you feel it is safe to do so and don't feel pressure to go because someone gave way.

Finally, about the ones who "beep at you"... I get beeped far more often by people I know than road ragers, so I smile and wave - I can't remember what everyone I know drives and it's difficult to see in sometimes. Ironically, when that is a road rager, this reaction seems to confuse them!
Wise words ;-)

OP
OP
FitMum

FitMum

Regular
I agree with you............in theory.

Yesterday I was going round a large roundabout I regularly use with no problem. Not much traffic and I had been on the roundabout for about 30 yards when I sensed someone coming up behind me. He was in a van and rather than sit in behind me to turn off (I still had one more exit and wasn't dawdling), he accelerated round me and swerved in front of me, just missing me, to make his exit in time. I normally ignore such idiots but this time I swore and gave him the finger. It didn't affect him, he even beeped the horn at me as he drove off, but it made me feel better for a short time.
Glad you are safe!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ignore is the best option. Unless it was very close, then I usually had a go at the driver. Not riding road anymore, despite some nice bikes - too many broken bones sustained on too many times - one was very nearly life changing, and I'm missing half of my T1 vertebrae with permanent damage, so decided that was it. I stick to MTB now ! Far more fun.

Yes, it is worrying about the apparent acceleration of time... just as we start to run out of it! :laugh:

As for mad motorists... I was riding back towards Summit this evening from Calderbrook and a driver overtook me at less than arm's length doing an estimated 40-50 mph. I heard him coming but didn't expect the pass to be that close so I was, er, 'somewhat startled'! :eek:

I thought that there could only be 3 possible explanations:
  1. The driver's brain was so defective that he genuinely believed that it was safe to overtake me that close, that fast. (I doubt it!)
  2. He was distracted by something - checking email on his smartphone, watching a DVD, reading a book etc. (They sound ludicrous, but drivers are regularly stopped by the police for doing those things.) I don't think it was due to distraction because the car never deviated at all from its trajectory. I think that it was going exactly where the driver intended it to go. Which leaves...
  3. The man was a sociopath who knew exactly what he was doing and got a kick out of scaring me!
Oh hell, another Bacup Road type nutter in a nearby vicinity! Glad yiu emerged physically unscathed, Colin.

A 'like' for the analysis not the experience.

mavster

I think the most difficult thing I deal with is my reaction to stuff. Often adrenaline from a good ride doesn't work in my favour when you get impatient drivers endangering your life!

I'm out for as many hours as I can spare, cycling. It's what makes me really happy. What doesn't make me happy is that I react badly to some d*ckhead in the last 10 minutes of a 4 hour ride.

It's all about anticipation, and unfortunately this gets better with experience. Always expect the driver to do the worst thing. We take a risk obviously, but like many here said, they've got a massive weapon. So tuck in when you can, cycle as steadily as you can, keep going and keep predicting in that particular situation, it will only make you a better cyclist if you're in control of that.

In my opinion, giving people middle fingers in any situation, has worked out pretty badly for me in life so far.

Top Bottom