Dear ambulance driver: thanks.............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it just me, or are the flashing blues these days too bright at night?

They can be a bit disorientating when you are trying to get out of their way and they are right up your chuff.
I was at a roundabout t'other day with a mahoosive fire engine approaching, lights, sirens the full monty

I pulled over, and waited, the guy in the Chavriolet didn't and pulled onto the roundabout in front of the fire engine!

He found out that
a. they have good brakes
b. The horn is even louder than the siren

It appears that for some even thes are not bright enough!

when i was a shiny young copper in the early nineties my favourite pastime at night was sneaking up behind cyclists with no lights and giving them a blast of the wailers. Many came close to a coronary, and one managed to fall off. Shame.
Then give them a shouting at for the sheer stupidity of no lights

Hyslop

Veteran
I try not to do it in the police car - trouble is (and I think it's probably the same for Ambo) the passenger can also reach and turn on the lights and sirens, and you can get the odd overexcitable colleague who does it without thinking as soon as they accept the job!
Smack them on the wrists!Mind you,if theyre too excitable I should get out and leave them to it,mingle with the public or something:smile:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
This is presumably no longer a problem with your new partner.
I think I'd rather have the siren...
upload_2016-1-19_18-4-26.png

:laugh:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I try not to do it in the police car - trouble is (and I think it's probably the same for Ambo) the passenger can also reach and turn on the lights and sirens, and you can get the odd overexcitable colleague who does it without thinking as soon as they accept the job!
Methinks any passenger who tried to touch the switches for ANYTHING when I was driving a Police car would have got a sore one over his/her knuckles. I'm the driver, I decide when to use the toys.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
.........for waiting until you were right up beside me before turning on your sirens.
I nearly became one of your customers with heart problems.
Bastard.

BOO

arch684

Veteran
On fire engines there is a floor switch on the passenger side and a switch on the dash for the driver.Some times i would have someone on the passenger side who had never driven a fire engine in his life.They would switch the sirens on and i would switch the off,caused a lot of arguments

Top Bottom