Dear Audax Agony Aunt: 600km Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
One of my many cycling ambitions this year was to attempt a 400 and 600km event.

I’ll be starting the 400 in a few weeks so that’s that.

However going through the AUK calendar, there isn’t a suitable 600 for me. That’s mainly due to single parent admin and school commitments. The only way I can do this is when my youngest daughter goes to visit her mum in the summer school holidays.

I really think if I’m going to have a shot at this, I am going to have to DIY it. What are your suggestions?

Maybe a 400 loop from my house which I would use as a sleep control, followed by a 200? I know some puritans consider this cheating. What do you think?

@Ian H ’s Buzzard and Exe-Buzzard are as near as damnit to a ride I can do, but dates don’t suit as mentioned upthread. Maybe I should approach him out of courtesy and amend the route to go via my house/sleep control? (I can DM or email you direct Ian if you would prefer comms not to be public)

Or should I take a chill pill and be grateful I have ticked off my RRTY and I’m going to attempt my first 400 this year?

OldShep

Über Member
I imagine a 600 DIY tough going. I only ever did one 600, the very last organised Daylight 600, and was extremely grateful at times to not have to go hunting for food. I’d done 4* 400 before attempting it too.
Stopping at home after 400 might be a godsend or an evil temptation to stop.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've done quite a few DIY 600s, both with company and solo. The tough ones are tough.

I need to do a route-check for the two buzzard rides, which would have to be on a weekend one or two weeks prior to either. I'd be happy for someone to assist me in that, or even ride it for me.

DM is best to confirm.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The only way I can do this is when my youngest daughter goes to visit her mum in the summer school holidays.
I really think if I’m going to have a shot at this, I am going to have to DIY it. What are your suggestions?
He can't do this till the summer hols, Ian, so too late for (check riding) your calendar events.
The OP may wish to consider a Permanent, either Ian's Exe-Buzzard:
"Exeter, Wells, Stow-on-the-Wold, Brackley, Leighton Buzzard, Pangbourne, Chandler's Ford, Salisbury, Sherborne, Exeter" starting/finishing at Wells;
or this one: Denmead 600 - starting/finishing at Bradford-on-Avon:
"Denmead, Wilton Wiltshire, Bradford-on-Avon, Cirencester, Sutton Scotney, Denmead, Lymington, Ower, Denmead".
I wonder if you can ECE a 'perm'. So maybe choose a 500 perm that goes through Wells, for example a 100+500 'Spa Tour Combo' (with Wells as a control).
Worth noting that if you do a DIY or perm 700 then you have 10 more hours (52:30+) to do the extra 100km.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My current plan for a 600 is a 4-leaf clover, the longest loop being 115 miles.

I'm sure there are pros and cons to doing it in such a sanitized way. Knowing how I operate, I think that removing all the anxiety around resting and refuelling stops should increase the chance of success.
The only person you need to please is yourself. You could always plot a direct line and get the wind on your back and get the train home. You can make it as hard or easy as you want. I like to add a few interest points if I can.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I've done quite a few DIY 600s, both with company and solo. The tough ones are tough.

I need to do a route-check for the two buzzard rides, which would have to be on a weekend one or two weeks prior to either. I'd be happy for someone to assist me in that, or even ride it for me.

DM is best to confirm.

Thanks Ian. Sadly I can’t help with anything until the school holidays. Although I work full time, not having school run duties and early Sunday nights, life becomes more flexible. That said, it would have been a huge honour to route check for you. Thank you for the offer. I may contact you soon for reasons of courtesy ;)

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
He can't do this till the summer hols, Ian, so too late for (check riding) your calendar events.
The OP may wish to consider a Permanent, either Ian's Exe-Buzzard:
"Exeter, Wells, Stow-on-the-Wold, Brackley, Leighton Buzzard, Pangbourne, Chandler's Ford, Salisbury, Sherborne, Exeter" starting/finishing at Wells;
or this one: Denmead 600 - starting/finishing at Bradford-on-Avon:
"Denmead, Wilton Wiltshire, Bradford-on-Avon, Cirencester, Sutton Scotney, Denmead, Lymington, Ower, Denmead".
I wonder if you can ECE a 'perm'. So maybe choose a 500 perm that goes through Wells, for example a 100+500 'Spa Tour Combo' (with Wells as a control).
Worth noting that if you do a DIY or perm 700 then you have 10 more hours (52:30+) to do the extra 100km.

These are fantastic ideas. Thank you. I attempted to ECE a perm earlier this year. (Jack & Grace Cotton Memorial which didn’t run as a calendar event this year) The short answer is that you can’t ECE a perm but you can do it as a DIY and with the organiser’s permission use the controls or pay for both the perm and DIY separately. That’s what I did as the proceeds were going to charity.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
600km is 600km and you need to be doing it to impress yourself not the puritans. Nobody else gives a hoot.

How about a figure of 8 from home rather than a big loop. It leaves you closer to home if you decide to pull the plug. It also leaves you in areas you are more likely to know.

True. And a figure of eight is a good plan. I’m not usually one for quitting but saving on accommodation costs is high on my agenda. I think I am resilient enough to avoid the temptation.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Do you know any other riders locally who might be interested in joining you on your DIY?

Riding 600km is not only physically demanding, it also requires great mental strength, and riding it solo even more so. Having some company will really help you to get through the low spots, especially at night.

Top Bottom