death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
My apologies for being so morbid but I was just browsing round here when I just got a phone call from the wife of a friend. I saw him last Saturday just before he was to fly out to join a cruise ship in Jamaica. He dropped down dead on the plane. Aged 62, black belt judo player, keen cyclist, healthy eater, just retired. Ironic but we were talking about him wanting to go before his wife and not end up dribbling in a nursing home . It sure makes you wonder don't it...... I'm upset...

girofan

What was it the philosopher said; 'Every man's death diminishes me'.
Terrible to lose a friend. Makes you aware of your own mortality, that's perhaps one of the reasons you are upset?

Milo

Guru
these things happen a good friend of mine dropped dead 2 weeks after his 18th birthday stopped taking his epilepsy medication.
edit: sorry that was a bit blunt my condolences

sorry to hear of your friends death. it must feel rather unreal for you at the moment, made worse by the fact that you had recently seen him. the velocidad family are feeling rather morbid ourselves, it being a year to the day that my partners mum died.

much sympathy bobg,

velocidad.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
girofan said:
Terrible to lose a friend. Makes you aware of your own mortality, that's perhaps one of the reasons you are upset?

I think there's an element of that in every bereavement. I lost another good friend about 18months ago and people were crossing the road rather than have to speak to his wife.... Maybe we're all a bit cocooned and its still a subject that nobody wants to air?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. This week's leg-breaking activities have made me incredibly aware of the fragility of our lives...all the more to live life to its fullest whilst we can. I hope it's some comfort that your friend died quickly rather than the protracted horror you'd discussed, but that won't lesson the shock.

Massive hug.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks all. Upon reflection maybe it wasn't all that bright of me to post a thread like that on here; bit like the spectre at the feast. Its just that I'd heard about it and I had the forum open and it seemed like a good idea at the time. His wife did say that it was a pity he missed the holiday, that made me smile

Dave5N

Über Member
bobg said:
Thanks all. Upon reflection maybe it wasn't all that bright of me to post a thread like that on here; bit like the spectre at the feast. Its just that I'd heard about it and I had the forum open and it seemed like a good idea at the time. His wife did say that it was a pity he missed the holiday, that made me smile

No, if you want to post you should. Underneath the banter and occasional dickhead there is a lot of support and comradeship here and on places like here.

I guess most people have been through sudden bereavement and understand the shock and pain. Sometimes people are uncomfortable because they feel embarassed and worried that anything they say might be trite. I do, for sure.

Personally I don't think the grief is about one's own impending mortality - it is simply a shockingly heart-aching blow to lose someone suddenly.

You have my heartfelt sympathy.

Dave5N said:
No, if you want to post you should. Underneath the banter and occasional dickhead there is a lot of support and comradeship here and on places like here.

I guess most people have been through sudden bereavement and understand the shock and pain. Sometimes people are uncomfortable because they feel embarassed and worried that anything they say might be trite. I do, for sure.

Personally I don't think the grief is about one's own impending mortality - it is simply a shockingly heart-aching blow to lose someone suddenly.

You have my heartfelt sympathy.

Good words Dave. +1

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
bobg
Very sorry to hear of your sad news, heartfelt condolences. It sounds like your friend was leading a full, active and interesting life until his untimely demise which I'm sure increases your sense of shock and disbelief.

BTW, I second Dave5N's excellent post. There are many good people here, feel free to share your feelings.

domtyler

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
shoot happens.

Now I know why they call you Mister Sensitive! ;)

Condolences, not good for the guys wife. Puts up with thirty years living with a working man and all the stress that goes with it, time comes when they can finally put their feet up and enjoy retirement and bam, he goes and dies on her!!

Top Bottom