1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

death

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by bobg, 20 Jan 2008.

1. bobg

bobg Über Member

My apologies for being so morbid but I was just browsing round here when I just got a phone call from the wife of a friend. I saw him last Saturday just before he was to fly out to join a cruise ship in Jamaica. He dropped down dead on the plane. Aged 62, black belt judo player, keen cyclist, healthy eater, just retired. Ironic but we were talking about him wanting to go before his wife and not end up dribbling in a nursing home . It sure makes you wonder don't it...... I'm upset...

2. girofan

girofan New Member

What was it the philosopher said; 'Every man's death diminishes me'.
    Terrible to lose a friend. Makes you aware of your own mortality, that's perhaps one of the reasons you are upset?

3. Milo

Milo Veteran

these things happen a good friend of mine dropped dead 2 weeks after his 18th birthday stopped taking his epilepsy medication.
    edit: sorry that was a bit blunt my condolences

4. velocidad

velocidad Senior Member

sorry to hear of your friends death. it must feel rather unreal for you at the moment, made worse by the fact that you had recently seen him. the velocidad family are feeling rather morbid ourselves, it being a year to the day that my partners mum died.

much sympathy bobg,

velocidad.

5. bobg

bobg Über Member

I think there's an element of that in every bereavement. I lost another good friend about 18months ago and people were crossing the road rather than have to speak to his wife.... Maybe we're all a bit cocooned and its still a subject that nobody wants to air?

6. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. This week's leg-breaking activities have made me incredibly aware of the fragility of our lives...all the more to live life to its fullest whilst we can. I hope it's some comfort that your friend died quickly rather than the protracted horror you'd discussed, but that won't lesson the shock.

Massive hug.

7. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Thats a bit young....my condolences !

8. longers

longers Veteran

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

9. bobg

bobg Über Member

Thanks all. Upon reflection maybe it wasn't all that bright of me to post a thread like that on here; bit like the spectre at the feast. Its just that I'd heard about it and I had the forum open and it seemed like a good idea at the time. His wife did say that it was a pity he missed the holiday, that made me smile

10. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

No, if you want to post you should. Underneath the banter and occasional dickhead there is a lot of support and comradeship here and on places like here.

I guess most people have been through sudden bereavement and understand the shock and pain. Sometimes people are uncomfortable because they feel embarassed and worried that anything they say might be trite. I do, for sure.

Personally I don't think the grief is about one's own impending mortality - it is simply a shockingly heart-aching blow to lose someone suddenly.

You have my heartfelt sympathy.

11. Good words Dave. +1

12. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

shoot happens. but it still hurts. condolences to all of you that have lost a friend that way. i feel very lucky not to have shared your experience.

13. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

bobg
    Very sorry to hear of your sad news, heartfelt condolences. It sounds like your friend was leading a full, active and interesting life until his untimely demise which I'm sure increases your sense of shock and disbelief.

BTW, I second Dave5N's excellent post. There are many good people here, feel free to share your feelings.

14. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Many condolensces from me as well. As others have said, although not much support for the bereaved, a death such as this, when happy and content is about the best one could ask for.

Hope all goes well in the coming weeks.

15. I agree with Dave5N. My condolences too, very sad.