Deaths when not using helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Interesting choice of word." KOOK", "A person who's actions are strange or foolish" MERRIAM-WEBSTER Dictionary, or "One who's ideas or actions are,eccentric ,fantastic or insane", you choose, personally I prefer, http://dictionary.die.net/kook..... "A term used to describe a poster who posts messages with no grounding in reality,the kook trademark is paranoia and grandiosity. kooks build up imaginary support structures and act as if its real even after its falsity has been documented" seems to be about right

Thanks very much, an apt description of the kook behind BHSI, the man who once said aout the 80% figure that BHSI wouldn't use the new revised figure becuause it woudn't be worthwhile. So , now that you have found a decription of those that use the 80%+ figure do you still believe it?

lukesdad

What on earth do you mean?

To answer that first I will ask you a question. I take it your purpose for entering these debates, is to illustrate to the "ill informed" the shortcommings of wearing a helmet correct ? If this is the purpose, do you think you have made a good job of it ?
How many people who have entered into the debate have you convinced of this?

Sorry 3 questions.

When people have entered the debate with a different point of view they are immediately set upon talked down to and insulted. Some of these people may have far more experience in the world of cycling than you, but still you are not prepared to listen to what they have to say.

Do you really think this is the way to get your point across?

Why do you think so few members enter into helmet debates?

Hopefully you may take some of this on board and the quality of debate will improve.

But and its a very big but as long as you continue not to listen others will switch off and you 3 will be left jibbering away to yourselves.

But and its a very big but as long as you continue not to listen others will switch off and you 3 will be left jibbering away to yourselves.

That wouldn't be a bad outcome actually. I have no problem what people personally choose to wear on their heads. I do have a problem with those that evangalise helmet wearing based on nothing more than their personal beliefs. If they stopped their evangalising it would be a good outcome as far as I am concerned. If they want to continue to exercise their right in free speech then I will exercise mine too to counter any falsehoods they broadcast about helmets.

lukesdad

That wouldn't be a bad outcome actually. I have no problem what people personally choose to wear on their heads. I do have a problem with those that evangalise helmet wearing based on nothing more than their personal beliefs. If they stopped their evangalising it would be a good outcome as far as I am concerned. If they want to continue to exercise their right in free speech then I will exercise mine too to counter any falsehoods they broadcast about helmets.

I dont think Ive seen many helmet evangalists? I have seen many who have told you why they like to wear a helmet rightly or wrongly. Its the manner in which you dismiss them that I take issue with. I can see from the statement that your only goal is to win the debate and you really don t care how.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I dont think Ive seen many helmet evangalists? I have seen many who have told you why they like to wear a helmet rightly or wrongly. Its the manner in which you dismiss them that I take issue with. I can see from the statement that your only goal is to win the debate and you really don t care how.

I would agree. I see evangelism from those who are out to prove helmet wearing is a negative thing. Just look at what happened in the "In praise of Giro thread" FFS.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi

thumbsup.png

twobiker

Thanks very much, an apt description of the kook behind BHSI, the man who once said aout the 80% figure that BHSI wouldn't use the new revised figure becuause it woudn't be worthwhile. So , now that you have found a decription of those that use the 80%+ figure do you still believe it?
If you are happy and think that that description of you is complimentary then my work is done...... ps , still going to wear a hat.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Our problem is with people who insist, in the face of all the evidence, that helmets are effective at reducing head injuries. They aren't.

I personally don't care if someone decides to wear a helmet anyway, as long as it's an informed choice. If they say "I know the evidence shows they are not effective, but I want to wear one anyway" then I don't care. If however someone says "Helmets are effective at reducing head injuries" and deploy a load of anecdotes and meaningless figures then they can expect to be challenged on it.

And what I've really got a huge problem with is the creeping threat of compulsion, using exactly the same rhetoric. (OMG, my helmet split, it would have been my head!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom