Decent coffee when camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
You can make it perfectly well with ground coffee in a mug and it's far better than instant. That is how it is made all over the Middle East, for instance.

Two essentials:-
- keep the brew hot for 3-5 minutes before you add any milk. I use a thermos mug, which is perfect;
- keep your coffee in something resealable and exclude as much air as you can.

andym

Über Member
I wish I could justify getting a handpresso but apart from anything else, the cost of the cartridges puts me off

Instead I've been using a Jetboil coffee press:

http://www.jetboil.com/products/accessories/coffeepress

26512_l.jpg

for obvious reasons Jetboil don't advertise the fact that it works pretty well with other manufacturers' mugs eg Alpkit's MyTi mug. The press comes a part and sits nicely in the mug. You will of course need another cup to pour the coffee into.

Primus also (allegedly, I'm still waiting for one) make a press to work with their ETaPower pots.

And on the subject of stovetop espresso makers. Bialetti make a one-cup espresso maker

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Moka-Express-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0000AN3QH

By my reckoning weighs 10 oz as opposed to 7 oz for the Snowpeak.

Seamus

Thers something about camp coffee in Byke Kultuur Never. 17, .....

http://uk.geocities.com/mikstar123/issue17.html.

"Camp Coffee
Coffee drinking for campers.

A few years ago, on a campsite in Clairvaulx (Luxembourg), I saw a cyclist with a large, pyrex coffee jug which he carried around in a big cardboard box, rather fragile and not very practical for camping.

Fortunately there are now exists a variety of equipment which enable the enthusiast camping coffee drinker to enjoy the pleasures of theier real beverage without having to rely upon the dubious pleasures afforded by instant coffee.

* Mini-Espresso Maker
* GSI Lexan Java Press
* MSR Mug Mate
* Ortlieb Coffee Filter Holder

Mini-Espresso Maker
This neat little gadget is made of lightweight cast aluminium. Just fill the basket with ground coffee, add 3oz. of water and heat on your stove.
Includes a 4 oz. blue enamel espresso cup (not shown here), and handy stuff sack.
Neat but such a tiny cup. Rather messy as the basket needs washing out afterwards and it won’t balance on all stoves.
GSI Lexan Java Press
How about an unbreakable Lexan (polycarbonate) coffee-pot? Just put a couple of spoonfuls of ground coffee into the pot, add boiling water (10 oz.), let it brew a few minutes, press down the plunger and serve. Probably a bit messy to clean unless you do it under running water. Less usefully for camping, it’s dishwasher safe.
MSR Mug Mate
The Mug Mate is a simple re-usable, metal-mesh, coffee-filter which is designed to fit in a standard (1/2 pint) mug, though you can also buy an MSR mug to go with it.
Straightforward to use; stick the ground coffee in, add boiling water and there’s your coffee. Like the espresso maker it’s rather messy to clean out the grounds after use.
Ortlieb Coffee Filter Holder
is a yellow,triangular, plastic holder with tunnels into which a couple of sticks or tent-pegs can be placed to hold it over a cup, pot or whatever, stick in a coffee-filter, bung in the coffee, add boiling water then wait for it to filter through
As it's top heavy in use, care must be taken to make sure it doesn't fall over.

Recomendations
Well, I have an MSR Mug Mate which I use at work but for camping trips I prefer the Ortleib. It packs flat along with a pack of coffee filters (in an Ortlieb document holder) and is a doddle to use. OK, so you still need a paper coffee-filter but cleaning up is just so much easier; just bin the soggy paper filter and coffee grounds together."

Top Bottom