Decent coffee when camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Without carting a cafetiere and other coffee making paraphernalia around, what do you do to get a good fresh strong cup of coffee when wild camping - sachets of instant just don't hit the spot...

I was thinking of trying to construct something out of muslin cloth and coffee grounds...?

Robert

Assuming you've got a cooker what you want is a stovetop espresso maker. I've got a 1 cup aluminium one that weighs in at 207 gms and a two cup stainless steel one that's 368 gms. It's not going to get broken and you've got a cup of espresso quicker than it takes to boil a kettle.

^ that's just like the one I used for motorbike camping. First time I took it I became the most popular 'biker at Blair ATholl. Almost burned a hole in it - 25 cups of expresso were needed after a long session in the Atholl Arms.

purplepolly

Last year I had some coffee bags at work - like large tea bags but with ground coffee - which produces cafetiere-style coffee.

Can't remember where I got them from but it was probably sainsburys

Or at whittards they sell mugs with a plasitc filter insert for tea leaves or coffee

JackE

Über Member
I used Lyons coffee bags for many years and they were okay (better than sachets of instant). I now use this: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product135.asp with my favourite ground coffee and it's the biz.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I've also got one of the Smartcafe mugs like AndrewClark. It's like a mug and cafetiere in one and very easy to use.

I have a couple of the Smartcafe mugs.
They're OK, but if you leave them in a sink the insulated bit fills with water and it sloshes around, which is rather annoying.
You can have one of them for the price of postage if you want to try it out.

yashicamat

As has been mentioned, I use the coffee bags. Reasonably good quality coffee and conveniently packaged up. Only problem really is that you're fixed to one strength option and it takes a good 5 minute steep to get that flavour out.

Thanks everyone! We've gone for one of the GSI mini espresso makers. As you say, you've got to have your one luxury and that's ours!*

*although my mum just gave me a load of trial size clinique products so I'll be having them too...
*and some Molton Brown...

Top Bottom