Deciding between two Botranger shoes (Road & MTB)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrdini

Hi,

So following on from my earlier post about SPD shoes (thanks to all who replied!), I’ve “bought” two SPD pairs in size 47 that feels decent enough, both by Bontranger. However they’re so different and at this point in time I think it’s perhaps a bit on the pricey side to keep both although I may buy the other pair down the line...

Specter road shoe
SSR Multisport

Completely different. Both same price as the Specter was on clearance.

The thing is that in July, I’m planning on doing a bike ride from the UK to Amsterdam doing 80 miles on one day and 100 miles on another day! (Training going ok by the way!).

I gather that road shoes, being less padded and stiffer can be more sore/painful(?) on longer rides which is a bit of a worry. But I imagine MTB shoes may be more sweaty especially in July...

Evans Cycles where I got them said I can return as long as I don’t put on cleats (although I gather Bontranger has their own unlimited guarantee - which I don’t know if Evans will honour if I fit cleats...).

Which would you suggest for a first timer/for long rides...

Thanks again in advance!

EDIT: Clarified both are SPD shoes

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I have done 100 mile off road rides with spd shoes, if you need to walk at any point they are the ones.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi,

So following on from my earlier post about SPD shoes (thanks to all who replied!), I’ve “bought” two pairs in size 47 that feels decent enough, both by Bontranger. However they’re so different and at this point in time I think it’s perhaps a bit on the pricey side to keep both although I may buy the other pair down the line...

Specter road shoe
SSR Multisport

Completely different. Both same price as the Specter was on clearance.

The thing is that in July, I’m planning on doing a bike ride from the UK to Amsterdam doing 80 miles on one day and 100 miles on another day! (Training going ok by the way!).

I gather that road shoes, being less padded and stiffer can be more sore/painful(?) on longer rides which is a bit of a worry. But I imagine MTB shoes may be more sweaty especially in July...

Evans Cycles where I got them said I can return as long as I don’t put on cleats (although I gather Bontranger has their own unlimited guarantee - which I don’t know if Evans will honour if I fit cleats...).

Which would you suggest for a first timer/for long rides...

Thanks again in advance!
SPD so you can actually walk around off the bike on your tour without fear of slipping and breaking your neck! No brainer

OP
OP
M

Mrdini

Sorry, should have clarified - both are SPD shoes (the Specter has fittings for both SPD and SPD-SL)

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry, should have clarified - both are SPD shoes (the Specter has fittings for both SPD and SPD-SL)
But does the cleat sit proud of the sole or is it properly recessed. Normally shoes that take either are the former and thus even more lethal with a small piece of metal attached!

Just looked at your link...the former...it’s a road shoe...avoid for touring

You can get MTB shoes with super stiff soles but they cost (eg Sidi)

Last edited:
Like others have said, don't go and tour with road shoes. It's stupid.
As for sweating in MTB shoes - au contraire my friend. Those are the opposite of sweaty. They're basically just mesh with a couple of straps and a sole. I'm on my third pair of those and can vouch for their airiness. When riding in dusty conditions the dust will settle on your foot in the pattern of the mesh. Water goes right through and out the other end.

The first iteration of them had a problem where 100% of them cracked right trough the SPD mount. They've now changed the plastic used to stiffen the sole with something called CrackNoMore and voila, they've become fine shoes. Keep your receipt just in case.

Happy touring.

Top Bottom