Decision made.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I cycle in all sorts of conditions. If I didn't I'd have to move to somewhere with a nicer climate, or give up. Neither of those options are actually options for me, at the moment. I used to draw the line at going out in thick fog, or snow / ice, but this year, I've been out in those conditions as well.

dickyknees

Guru
Now retired, I no longer need to go out in bad weather, so can wait until mid-day for it to warm up or wait until the rain stops. A bit wary of icy conditions and will dig the turbo out if I go longer than about 3 days without getting out.

I have just retired and I am also able to wait for the day to warm up or the wind to go down. Did thirty miles the other day, no wind or rain but boy were my feet cold after 10 miles even with two pairs of socks and overshoes.
So turbo later to get the miles in.

My H&S checklist is as follows I can only really get out for longer rides at weekends
Breezy/Windy - yes
Blowing a gale - no
Light rain - probably if it is likley to clear up
Lashing it down - probably not but depends how desperate I am to get out
currently dry but threat of rain at some point during the ride - yes
Snowing / Ice - no
Cold but dry probably yes but not likely if there is a good risk of ice
Fog - play by ear depends how thick it is

TeeShot

Veteran
Well Gav, with my sixtieth approaching later this year I draw the line at ice on the road bike.
I find appropriate clothing makes a huge difference to surviving or enjoying winter cycling and I do like buying kit so feel obliged to actually use it.
37 miles today around Cheshire, quite cool but with a very nice cafe stop part way round it was a pleasure to be out.

Top Bottom