Decision made.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have decided to put the bikes to hibernation every winter from now on. I will keep my legs with some sort of fitness by going on rollers. Cycling in winter is not worth the risk at my age, physical for me and potential damage to bikes. The only problem is to decide when the winter starts and ends. Calling all senior cyclists, how do you cope with winter time and cycling?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Not sure senior cyclists start but i refuse to ride on ice , slush and snow and not overly keen on getting wet feet at 54 if that helps

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have decided to put the bikes to hibernation every winter from now on. I will keep my legs with some sort of fitness by going on rollers. Cycling in winter is not worth the risk at my age, physical for me and potential damage to bikes. The only problem is to decide when the winter starts and ends. Calling all senior cyclists, how do you cope with winter time and cycling?
I won't risk any chance of ice these days either, but I do a lot of walking and a bit of light jogging, sometimes with ice grips if required. Afraid I hate exercising indoors so need to get out somehow.

Oldbloke

Guru
I avoid riding on icy roads and in steady rain, very cold damp days too.

Not keen on indoor exercise though, so if temperature over 3c and dry as it was this afternoon, ok for a couple of hours.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not a problem if that's what floats your boat. What will you do to keep your bike handling skills and roadcraft on top form while you're off the tarmac?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Not a problem if that's what floats your boat. What will you do to keep your bike handling skills and roadcraft on top form while you're off the tarmac?
Handling skills are for life, just like driving a car. Once acquiered, never forgotten, so that doesn't worry me. :okay:

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

If only someone could define 'senior'....
60+?

Gav, In the current climate I don’t think it so easy to define where/when winter begins and ends, especially considering how mild December was.

Even wind or rain has and always will stop me venturing out, even in “flaming June” regardless of age. I have only ever considered my age in relation to ability (to go certain distances & the pace) not in relation to susceptibility to injury on the bike. I acknowledge that old(er) people’s bones are more easily fractured, but I don’t know how old you are.

If I was 95, I would like to think that I would still be able to go out cycling. I’m a big believer in “use it or lose it”. I would rather pootle along at 4mph than be sat in God’s waiting room of the local care home. I acknowledge we don’t always have the privilege of choice in such matters.

Sharky

Guru
Now retired, I no longer need to go out in bad weather, so can wait until mid-day for it to warm up or wait until the rain stops. A bit wary of icy conditions and will dig the turbo out if I go longer than about 3 days without getting out.

I also play table tennis in the winter and although you might not think it will give a good work out, it actually does, especially when it is a close match.

Last edited:

I am sorry, I am not qualified to comment on this.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm a mere youngster of 53, so I don't qualify. But ..... I only cycle in what I consider to be suitable weather. I can't say that the seasons make a lot of difference as sometimes there are nice cold days in December or January when I quite enjoy getting out for a ride. On the other hand, during that "summer" of 2015, there were plenty of days that I wouldn't have put a dog out in it. I won't do persistent rain, heavy rain, wind over 20 mph, or ice. Anything else I will think about it!

Ride when YOU want to ride; never mind all this MTFU nonsense. Riding a bike in the rain proves nothing except a lack of mechanical sympathy for the moving components of your bike. Unless of course it is your only transport and you have no choice (but you don't have to like it).

Last edited:

bathtub

Not quite fully fledged Senior until later on this year but plenty of turbo training for me in winter.
Only managed 1 short road ride this week due to weather but got in 5 turbo sessions this week including a 3 hour spinerval session "Tough Love" this morning.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Jannie and I are both senior cyclists. We have just come in from a 40km ride and it was glorious.

Jannie rides her 10 mile commute every day, regardless of the weather. Snow, ice, rain. It makes no difference. Ive seen her go out in snow that I would never consider.

Her advice is just to wrap up and take it very easy.

Top Bottom