Stupid mechanic errors you have made

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Ãœber Member
Was in a rush fitting a KMC quick link chain the other day. Measured it up using the method of chain around large cogs at back and front, bypassing the rear derailleur...all good so far. Then without thinking I joined the quick links...before I have threaded it through the rear deraiileur!! 🤣🤣 Share your schoolboy error mechanic fails with me...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Stupid is my middle name. I think possibly the stupidest, and most dangerous, was fitting some front brake blocks the wrong way round so when I braked they ejected the brake pads. At least I think that's what I did, I forget. If not exactly that, it was something stupid that resulted in my front brake suddenly becoming not a brake any more.

Sharky

Guru
A long time ago, used to watch the track racing at Kirby stadium. Noticed that some riders used to wrap tape round their tubs/rim to to hold them in place.

Thought, that's a good idea, especially as my tubs were a bit worn and had a habit or turning round on the rim.

So tried it, but alas, only got to the end of the road before I realised that this solution doesn't quite work with rim brakes!!

Years ago, before I had really got into bike maintenance and repairs, I painstakingly converted a1952 Rensch road bike I bought off my next door neighbour from fixed-wheel to seven speed using a new Shimano chainset and Crane gears.
Everything worked well in the workshop so I took it out for its first ride on the road. On coming to a steep hill I moved the rear mech to the biggest sprocket on the freewheel and the chain jumped over the cogs and mashed up half a dozen spokes on the rear wheel. I wasn't up to truing wheels at that stage so had to take it to the bike shop to have the spokes changed and the wheel trued.
I have always double-checked the limits on the gears since then.

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Ãœber Member
Loving the stories guys. Keep em coming.

Jameshow

Veteran
Assembled winter bike several years back and put one gear adjuster in for the front but not one for the back it's still like that today!! Guess rear has one on the RD.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
1 Cut the cable tie not the cable !

2 Soldering up a DIN audio lead but forgetting to put the rubber shroud on. Never mind, I can slide it on the cable from the other end. Momentarily distracted I forgot again, so had to desolder the 5 pins, then put both shrouds on the cable and re-solder. Arse ! I've now got both shrouds facing the wrong way, so now have to desolder and resolder the five pins again. What a palaver that was.

And finally, and I may well win the thread for this last one. Reassembling a totally stripped down bike, and upon putting the forks back on, thought "hang on, that doesn't look quite right" and it took me a few moments to realise they were upside down ie the handlebars would have been underneath, and the forks where the bars should be.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Was in a rush fitting a KMC quick link chain the other day. Measured it up using the method of chain around large cogs at back and front, bypassing the rear derailleur...all good so far. Then without thinking I joined the quick links...before I have threaded it through the rear deraiileur!! 🤣🤣 Share your schoolboy error mechanic fails with me...

I’ve done the same without going through the front derailleur.
Pain in the behind.

Top Bottom