Stupid mechanic errors you have made

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
It's really odd. Sometimes they come apart easily just by squeezing the plates and sliding the links.......other times they refuse to budge. There are a few Youtube clips out there showing how to be clever by using the chain ring and whacking them.
I bought the quick link tool.
Remembering that the "whack" should only be directed at one of the two sideplates, otherwise it's pointless ...

I've never owned a quicklink tool, nor needed one.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If it's a worn out chain being removed I may use a chain tool to drive out a rivet rather than opening the quick link. Otherwise I use quick link pliers. All depends if I can find the pliers.

I have read of a roadside method that involves hitting the link with a rock. Fortunately I've never been in a situation where that was needed.

figbat

Slippery scientist
A few little ones:
  • bought a new wheel, set it up tubeless, fitted the cassette and then put it the bike very happy how well it had gone. Then realised I hadn't fitted the brake disc.
  • assembling a vintage bike after restoration did the thing where the front fork was 180° out when I fitted the stem
  • tried to join a chain with a quick link, found it impossible and gave up. Later realised you have to take half a link out rather than having a male-to-female on each end
I have loads more on cars and motorbikes. :blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Did one of the most stupid things you can do with a fixie. Mickling the chain, but holding the chain at the bottom whilst spinning the crank forward - hand/fingers get dragged towards the rear sprocket - fortunately I was going slowly, otherwise I'd be missing the end of a finger. It has happened to people. :ohmy:

Did one of the most stupid things you can do with a fixie. Mickling the chain, but holding the chain at the bottom whilst spinning the crank forward - hand/fingers get dragged towards the rear sprocket - fortunately I was going slowly, otherwise I'd be missing the end of a finger. It has happened to people. :ohmy:

Oh. I've almost done that too. Very dangerous.

Cleaning the chain once (a long time ago), spinning the cranks backwards, got distracted by one of the dogs

Sudden stop, & searing pain
I’d managed to drag/trap my index finger between the big-ring & the derailleur

Nail downwards, so l had to turn cranks to get it out, then pull the finger off the ring-teeth

I met up with a mate just beyond leeds Bradford airport.

Got CX bike out put both wheels in and off we went down poole bank 1/4 hill squeezed brake levers - nothing fast faster faster red traffic lights ..

Feet down slowed the bike enough to put it into the verge minor gravel rash but could have been so much worse.

Not a good road to do that on!!!!!

On the bright side, at least it wasn’t East Chevin!!!

D

Deleted member 1258

I've done that twice, still got all my fingers though.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I winced at that and have done similar, thankfully not seriously.
Now oiling a motorbike chain with the bike on the stand in first gear on tickover could go very badly indeed !

Top Bottom