Decision made.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am sorry, I am not qualified to comment on this.
I will be - by next weekend! :laugh:

I confess to having done little cycling since just before Christmas. I was supposed to be doing a metric century today but was put off by the likely risks and discomfort involved. I should be able to get out in a couple of days time - that will do me.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Some of the best cycling days are around this time of the year. I especially like crisp sunny frosty mornings, but only if the roads are dry. Any chance of black ice is a no-no. Otherwise persistent heavy rain puts me off, but if its a club ride we usually go anyway - admittedly without the 'obligation' of the organised ride it would be all too easy not to go. So far this year I've got out on the bike everyday - not far, as I'm in need of a new hip, but managed a few miles (I'm 69 this year).

arch684

Veteran
It can take 2/3 times longer to recover from injuries at my age so if its snow or ice i use the turbo.The rain does not bother me to much unless its really heavie

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Snowed here overnight.

I was dying to get out for a ride this morning, I didn't give a stuff how slushy it was.

Mrs. 66's hangover put paid to that notion, however.

So far in January I've been on the bike around ten days, all but one for the commute.

Postmanhat

Have inherited our family's poor circulation so anything below 5 gets painful for me after a while. The last two weeks, have just been doing hill repeats in the suburbs of Derby. Quarndon as you ask, the home of Dave Brailsford. Keep me warm, fit and don't last too long

Don't do ice, so went to my first spin class this morning. Good workout though not as hard as the hill repeats

ScotiaLass

Guru
I've just turned 52. I haven't ridden since November.
For me it's horrible in the rain/wind/snow/ice, so why do it? I don't commute and I have a car if I need the shops.

I make up for the lack of cycling in the better weather, when I'll often take the bike and cycle the 4 miles or so on the towpath to get to the larger supermarket, even though there's a corner shop across from my front door, where I could get milk or bread if I wanted.
I ride for pleasure, and in certain conditions it isn't pleasurable, so I don't!

Edited to add that last winter was milder and I rode about 4 days a week right through to February.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've just turned 52. I haven't ridden since November.
For me it's horrible in the rain/wind/snow/ice, so why do it?

Because it's fun! Ok, I avoid the tragically bad ice, but then I avoid it in the car as well if things are that dicey. Old pilots and bold pilots.

Rain is a state of mind, and if I avoided rain I probably wouldn't ride for 10 months of the year.

Handling skills are for life, just like driving a car. Once acquiered, never forgotten, so that doesn't worry me. :okay:

They will degrade for sure. This is why people involved in physical sport etc practice them. Youve only got to look at the roadies as they emerge pasty pale and blinking into the sunlight in late April - most of them wobble all over the road, their bike control finesse gone and their cycling roadcraft keeping it company. Watching the lesser spotted weight weenie emerge from hibernation during the opening weeks of BST is an entertaining passtime.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I don't mind a bit of wind but once it goes over about 20mph I stay in. If it rains, while I'm out, I don't necessarily turn back unless it's torrential or I'm on my way back. If the weather is 3 degrees or above, I'll ride but maybe not at night I ride a bit slower though (anyone who's seen my Strava will wonder how I can ride slower, but I can and I do).
I am going to be 52 this year and starting to get a bit stiff. Too many broken bones from too many falls from horses over the years have not helped. I noticed my right knee ached a bit over the last couple of miles today. I can't afford a turbo, but would consider one if I could, for really bad days. I like to get outside really. Not feeling like a senior rider though. I'm still mid 20s, in my head.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I keep the bikes handy and ready to go, This is the first weekend in a long time i did not cycle, Was not all down to the weather, have a lot going on at the moment, but if the weather looks good then i will ride, We can have some really nice days this time of year, it does look to be warming up in a week or so, I do get withdrawal symptoms if i do not ride, Am 63 years old so am on the right thread.:okay:

Top Bottom