Stupid mechanic errors you have made

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

The most time consuming and embarrassing error i made was working on my old track car. I was swapping the clutch out and had just wrestled the gearbox back in to place and was putting the bell housing bolts back in when I got thirsty and stopped for a break. As I walked back through the garage I noticed the brand new thrust bearing still sitting on the bench so it all had to come out again - I was not pleased with myself!

At least you hadn't finished the job - which would have been even worse!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At least you hadn't finished the job - which would have been even worse!
I replaced one of the 2 bearings on a freehub once and was feeling quite pleased with myself until I noticed that I had neglected to reinstall a cylindrical spacer which had to go between the 2 bearings!

I managed to get the new bearing back out, put the spacer in, and reinstall the bearing without damaging it.

Big T

Guru
Taking off my Tiagra Hollowtech II chainset, it wouldn’t push through the BB, so I gave it a tap with a hammer to get it out. Replaced the bearings, refitted the chainset, but the left crank won’t now go onto the splines. Looking closer, I’d damaged the splines with the hammer! Cue new chainset!

Now I always use a rubber mallet to get the chainset out of the BB, if needed.

Fastpedaller

Taking off my Tiagra Hollowtech II chainset, it wouldn’t push through the BB, so I gave it a tap with a hammer to get it out. Replaced the bearings, refitted the chainset, but the left crank won’t now go onto the splines. Looking closer, I’d damaged the splines with the hammer! Cue new chainset!

Now I always use a rubber mallet to get the chainset out of the BB, if needed.

If it was only a light tap you should be able to file the burrs off and still use it?

Fastpedaller

Hardened steel so the cassette dosent bite.

I remember being in woodwork class at school, and I dropped a file which immediately broke (to me horror, and all the other pupils' amusement)

Big T

Guru
If it was only a light tap you should be able to file the burrs off and still use it?

My son did something similar whilst actually riding his bike. LH Crank came loose, so instead of stopping and tightening up, he carried on riding it, knackering the splines on the crank in the process. Luckily for him, I now had a spare LH crank, so it now lives on his Cyclocross bike. I binned the rest of the chainset.

Mr Celine

Discordian
chaintab.jpg

If you look closely you see I managed this bit of genius mechanickery twice, but the shallower second groove is due to me thinking 'I remember that noise, I had it once before...' :rolleyes:

Tom B

Guru
I've managed to thread new chains around derailleurs the wrong way on several occasions.... And ride them to work and back.

Once managed to put a pair of brake pads on a car upside down. Quite an achievement when you see the shape, luckily I noticed when the caliper was back on!

Top Bottom