Deep section wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

Yet another crack has appeared in my Planet-x carbon wheels. so i've decided to retire them.

I'm now after a replacement set. A deep sectioned clincher wheel suitable for using on HILLY sportives and time trials. The planet-x's were almost ideal, I just wasn't keen on the fact they were tubular.

I know planet-x do a clincher version of their wheels but they're too much money. Is there anything on the market for under £500?

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Isn't Pro the components part of Shimano? Should be decent quality then...
I have no idea, I didn't even know they existed until yesterday.

I have however, just realised that planet-x now have the clincher carbons for £550. Looks like i've just found my next set of wheels.

Come on pay day.
(I do hope the clincher version of planet-x's wheels is as good as the tubs i've been using.)

dodgy

How come you've decided to choose again the manufacturer of your old wheels which cracked?
I tend to get put off by stuff like that.

Dave.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

The wheels have had a hard life and are badly worn. They've been used for cyclo-cross races, time trials and road races by me AND the rider I brought them off. Although I don't actually know whats cracked them I suspect it didn't happen while I was riding them; but was caused by something falling on them in the car.

I've been quite happy with the reliability of the wheels. They have always remained perfectly true and the hubs are still buttery smooth. My only small gripe was the carbon braking surface was somewhat intresting in the wet and has worn out rather quickly.

(Which is why I find the Pro RD-50 with an Al braking surface an intresting alternative)

walker

I was about to say, find the weight difference, if they are heavy your not going to want to climb with them

Top Bottom