Deer and be safe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
Be safe people if you live rurally deer are everywhere at the moment.

I have had 2 close shaves on the bike.

My wife just finished a 13hr shift at the hospital and hit one and probably wrote my car off, she is fine, but had to call police as the deer was in the road it was fully grown and she can’t shift it so it’s a hazard.

Take care all and be safe.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Muntjac are widespread even in towns and seem to be using roads more where there's little traffic.

I've never seen as many pheasants as on today's shopping/delivery trip. I guess hunting isn't happening at the moment.

Smudge

Veteran
We have a lot of them round my way living near the Quantocks. Its a big consideration riding a motorcycle, but how can you prepare for it, you cant. They will just jump into the road in front of you. All you can do is either not ride the roads where it might happen, or just hope you wont be unlucky.

Brads

Round me I have to deal with a number of RTA deer. Either remove them or have to kill then remove.

It's mostly down to deer not being shot, either through well meaning types who don't like shooting, or greedy types who want cash for allowing them to be shot.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll find more animals are venturing further with less traffic, or drivers less aware or the lot. I'm driving extra careful just going to the supermarket less than a mile away. Same where I need to use side roads on my MTB rides. Some speeding going on.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
More animals everywhere less cars, less noise, I have hedgehogs, rabbits in my garden almost every evening now.

The few cars I see are mostly speeding, I saw one serial speeder getting caught the other day racing through the village doing circuits.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There are lots in my area. There is a single track wood a few minutes from work with lots of them in. A month ago I was driving home and pulled over in the wood to let a guy past who was right on my bumper. He sped off like an idiot. About a minute later I squeezed past him as he stood in the middle of the road with a dead deer embedded into the front of his car. I just smiled, shook my head and drove on. 😊

Badgers ars my biggest problem. I was cycling to work couple of weeks ago when 2 fighting badgers rolled onto the road in front of me about 10 metres away. Frightened the life out of me. They really go at it. Give me wild dogs any day.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The UK currently has about three times the number of deer the landscape can sustain. As few of them are "farmed", not much is eaten and they play havoc with gardens and tree plantations. You see very high deer fences in the countryside.

I'm not a hunting and shooting type but feeding them some contraceptives might be a start.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The UK currently has about three times the number of deer the landscape can sustain. As few of them are "farmed", not much is eaten and they play havoc with gardens and tree plantations. You see very high deer fences in the countryside.

I'm not a hunting and shooting type but feeding them some contraceptives might be a start.
They have built a high fence between Germany and Denmark to keep the wild boar out of Denmark. I dont know who designed it or how high a wild boar can jump. But there are many traditional crossing points for deer. The problem is that the fences are too high for the deer to jump over. When you see video footage of the deer being totally confused as to how to get across. The idea of some commando angle grinding comes to mind.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xWtJO-aCarM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Wild boar are an issue in the Forest of Dean. You don't want to come across one with babies (piglets?) as they can get very aggressive, and they are dangerous things.

Top Bottom