Deer and be safe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probably not the first time folks will have seen this, but I think it's lovely: 517178

OldShep

Über Member
Wow. So do you think the increase is primarily due to fewer being run over?
No, this time of year they have got sex on their mind. Like a teenager ratching all over the county looking for a maiden.

The UK currently has about three times the number of deer the landscape can sustain. As few of them are "farmed", not much is eaten and they play havoc with gardens and tree plantations. You see very high deer fences in the countryside.

I'm not a hunting and shooting type but feeding them some contraceptives might be a start.
Contraceptives can't be administered effectively. What we really need is to have sensible discussions about (re)introducing predators. Sadly, not many landowners are open to the idea, and the nimbys are usually against it too. We won't easily let go of the opinion that it is human's who should have dominion of all land.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The UK currently has about three times the number of deer the landscape can sustain. As few of them are "farmed", not much is eaten and they play havoc with gardens and tree plantations. You see very high deer fences in the countryside.

I'm not a hunting and shooting type but feeding them some contraceptives might be a start.
We need the reintroduction of Wolves.:whistle:

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
The engineer thinks it will just be viable for repair, I would prefer that as trying to replace it will prove to have issues with forecourts being closed etc

Main thing is my wife wasn’t hurt, just shaken up.

Edit: I had to re tax my car as the other car has issues as well and is waiting for repair, if it’s written off is it easy to claim the tax back?

Attachments

• EB82B844-E0A3-4F8C-8A7D-8C0C7F76D3EB.jpeg
    EB82B844-E0A3-4F8C-8A7D-8C0C7F76D3EB.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 6327499F-FB1E-4445-B84F-DBF98DF0F41E.jpeg
    6327499F-FB1E-4445-B84F-DBF98DF0F41E.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 5
  • C61A9949-BBC7-49C5-903D-9B30E4F6CC0B.jpeg
    C61A9949-BBC7-49C5-903D-9B30E4F6CC0B.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 51892CB8-3C54-4E6C-A1A9-E5D507ED6F28.jpeg
    51892CB8-3C54-4E6C-A1A9-E5D507ED6F28.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 5
  • F6AA9530-346F-4B02-8977-52D90E8F3042.jpeg
    F6AA9530-346F-4B02-8977-52D90E8F3042.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 3C8E1AD9-8507-41E8-81CA-A2F0556463E3.jpeg
    3C8E1AD9-8507-41E8-81CA-A2F0556463E3.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 5

C R

Guru
The engineer thinks it will just be viable for repair, I would prefer that as trying to replace it will prove to have issues with forecourts being closed etc

Main thing is my wife wasn’t hurt, just shaken up.

Edit: I had to re tax my car as the other car has issues as well and is waiting for repair, if it’s written off is it easy to claim the tax back?
When we changed our car last year it was straightforward to claim the tax back. Just one form to fill in.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
What is quite noticeable around here is the lack of roadkill.normally see several squished foxes,rabbits,pheasants etc on a ride but hardly any now.

It would be interesting to know how much lower than the usual the human road death numbers are.

tom73

Guru
@Johnno260 like you say your wife is ok which is main thing.
She's forced to be shaken up having a bird hit the car is bad enough never mind anything as big as a deer.
As for tax is quite simple process we did it for our last car gov.uk website tells you what to do.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I live rural so I expect issues with wildlife, but I have never seen this many deer, I sat and watched 20-30 just meandering about near my house, it’s surprising how bold they have gotten in 3-4 weeks.

I know some local landowners are having issues, with deer and replanting trees, he was complaining about them while I was watching them.

still I wouldn’t swap my location I can see birds of prey hunting, I’m actively encouraging hedgehogs into my garden, the rabbits I don’t care for much but I don’t try and push them out.

the mice were a pain but I haven’t had evidence of them after I caught some with non lethal traps.

the deer they should consider having a larger hunting season for them maybe? Usually don’t like hunting for sport, if it’s to help conservation or for eating then I don’t have any issues.

My wife had deer incident 2yrs back, the repair was about £4k on a VW Touran (only worth around £10-12k) so was on the limit for the insurance but the covered it all. Here we have a very defined process where you are required to inform the police and give the coordinates of the accident, they then check the car and give you an accident number for the insurance, they also call the local wildlife and fauna ranger who goes out to track down the deer and take care of it. Our car had it's complete side taken out, both wings, both doors and 2 windows, it was quite a mess.

Last year i had a Chamois jump out in front of me whilst on my bike, fortunately i was going uphill so was going slow enough to avoid it:okay:

Muntjac are widespread even in towns and seem to be using roads more where there's little traffic.

I've never seen as many pheasants as on today's shopping/delivery trip. I guess hunting isn't happening at the moment.
It's out of season for pheasants and ducks. Although tell my dog that. A pheasant yesterday and duck today. Swapped duck for 6 eggs and half a lemon drizzle cake. Stomach hurts.

Top Bottom