Deer and be safe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I live rural so I expect issues with wildlife, but I have never seen this many deer, I sat and watched 20-30 just meandering about near my house, it’s surprising how bold they have gotten in 3-4 weeks.

I know some local landowners are having issues, with deer and replanting trees, he was complaining about them while I was watching them.

still I wouldn’t swap my location I can see birds of prey hunting, I’m actively encouraging hedgehogs into my garden, the rabbits I don’t care for much but I don’t try and push them out.

the mice were a pain but I haven’t had evidence of them after I caught some with non lethal traps.

the deer they should consider having a larger hunting season for them maybe? Usually don’t like hunting for sport, if it’s to help conservation or for eating then I don’t have any issues.
Muntjac are in season all year round.
The rest are as below
https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/deer-stalking/deer-seasons-83047

Contraceptives can't be administered effectively. What we really need is to have sensible discussions about (re)introducing predators. Sadly, not many landowners are open to the idea, and the nimbys are usually against it too. We won't easily let go of the opinion that it is human's who should have dominion of all land.
We should only eat animals that are free range. Any other way of farming animals is inhumane.
Is there anything more free range than deer. Yet most people want farmed not wild.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Not seen deer, but have been woken several nights by fox noise.
Am used to the screaming barks in mating season, but this was protracted howling from several foxes from different directions.
It was more like wolves howling and was a tad eerie in the dead of night.

My wife thought the cats might be trouble and dashed outside to call them in; then came back to bed somehow leaving the front door WIDE OPEN for the rest of the night!

Wild animal behaviour does seem a bit different in the lockdown.

I thought a back road i haven't cycled on for a while was eerily quite. Thinking about it it has always been that quite. The dog is not pegging any more birds than normal (bad girl). A few more cyclist a few less cars. Not noticed anything unusual in the wildlife behaviour.

mustang1

Guru
Was riding on the road in foresty area the other day and a deer popped out close in front of me to cross the road but I slowed down in plenty of time and all was well. Just as I started accelerating again, 3 more deer popped out and wanted to cross the road too.

Just like with cars (always look out for the 2nd hidden car), watch out for the 2nd hidden deer.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Was riding on the road in foresty area the other day and a deer popped out close in front of me to cross the road but I slowed down in plenty of time and all was well. Just as I started accelerating again, 3 more deer popped out and wanted to cross the road too.

Just like with cars (always look out for the 2nd hidden car), watch out for the 2nd hidden deer.

Same if I see one I stop, it's like they take a vote and send out the expendable one first! haha

People I work with think I'm a barbarian for eating rabbit, local guy hunts them for farmers.
A local estate has bloke whose job it is (at certain times of the year) to keep the rabbit population down. One year he caught 1400. Delivers them to bloke who sells them all to Yorkshire.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Well they’re going to repair the car which I’m thankful for, as purchasing now would be a little more difficult.

I’m surprised they repaired it with the list of parts and the paint.

New Bonnet, wing, wing liners, bumper, grille, light cluster, fog lamp, radiator.

Repair driver side door.

Paint all the new parts that require it, drivers door, and buff and blend the other panels to match.

That sounds expensive.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Well she is back, I have questioned some shutline issues with the replacement light and bonnet, they think it maybe due to a slight design change so they may replace the passenger light as well.

But it’s looks like new.

Attachments

• A7BDB0D7-9B0E-4064-A25A-AED0A0BC0A4A.jpeg
    A7BDB0D7-9B0E-4064-A25A-AED0A0BC0A4A.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom