Deeside Loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Deeside Loop 200km

Having ridden mostly Perms so far this year, with the exception of a brief foray into the Northerly parts of Englandshire for a few hills over 100km route and a local 100km event, I was looking forward to my first calendar 200 of the year. And even better was it was a local event and I had a 3 mile ride to the start. Forty cyclists started the event at 8am and we made good speed to the first control – I learned it was not a good idea to try to keep pace with a tandem when they are travelling at mid 40km along the flat as it tends to tire you out a bit early in a ride. Having learned this lesson I arrived a short time after the lead group at the first control, but was in no hurry to leave with them and decided it best to refuel and set off a few minutes later.

Heading out of the control I joined up with a few lads from yACF and headed towards Cairn O’Mount chatting as we went. There was a large turn out of yACFers on this ride, most of whom I had met before and some who I have become good friends with. As we neared Cairn O’Mount we noted the headwind had become more noticeable and the top of the hill was shrouded in mist. Having previously only ever made it up the hill when there was a tailwind I did not think my chances were good as we hit the first 16% climb, but surprised myself as I reached the top without swearing once, and began the descent into the thick mist. Most impressive sight on the climb was seeing the tandem being ridden single-handedly upwards whilst the stoker made progress on foot a short distance behind.

The descent was enjoyable, if devoid of scenery due to the mist, and we soon made it to Ballater for a bit of food and a chat. Suitably nourished by a bacon and “something” roll and a tin of Irn-bru energy drink I headed out with 2 others along Deeside. After a few miles I noticed the 2 others were a bit off my wheel and slowed a bit, however on next looking they were even further behind so I cracked on alone towards the Cairnwell, a rather long sapping climb but with a stunning descent.

The view back of the ascent:
deesideloop110508003.jpg

And the view towards the "drop off" of the descent:
deesideloop110508004.jpg

Top speed on the descent was 85.3kmp then I bottled it – I do this every time and immediately regret it as soon I hit the brakes. There was another control just after the descent and I met up with some others who had arrived a few minutes before me, and enjoyed some coffee and a piece of carrot cake. It was here I learned of a “scary moment” during the descent where one of my clubmates had a speed wobble whilst being followed down the descent by a car, resulting in him hitting the brakes and having to jump from his bike when he had slowed and run along the verge. Scary enough to read, but not as scary as for the car driver or for the rider behind the car who had to brake, swerve and move to overtake the car and hope the car didn’t swerve into his path. Thankfully, the car driver did admirably well and great thanks should be sent to him/her.

The final leg back to the start was uneventful, although the headwind made progress a little less speedy than it could have been. A hearty feast had been laid on and, although I was not too hungry, I thought it was rude not to partake. And so, suitably full, I made the short ride home to find Mrs Noodley had a curry waiting for me. Well, she’d gone to the effort so I thought it rude not to…

Good read again Noodley, disappointed I couldn't make it.

Some of that area is fantastic for cycling, I am a particular fan of deeside and have often camped at Ballater.

Perhaps next year :ohmy:

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Rab said:
Good read again Noodley, disappointed I couldn't make it.

Some of that area is fantastic for cycling, I am a particular fan of deeside and have often camped at Ballater.

Perhaps next year :ohmy:

No need to wait til next year - the Dee-Lechtable 200km from Maryculter on 24 May 2008 :ohmy:...only 3600m climbing :biggrin:

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Rab said:
quickly thinks of a random excuse............ oh that's right, I am on holiday - phew :tongue:

I think you need to post all your holiday dates, just in case there happens to be another potential event :biggrin:

Inspiring read. That descent picture looks quite dramatic.

Rab, didn't you use the holiday excuse last time? You'll be telling him next your Uncle died......................for the third time :smile:

Crackle said:
Inspiring read. That descent picture looks quite dramatic.

Rab, didn't you use the holiday excuse last time? You'll be telling him next your Uncle died......................for the third time :tongue:

:biggrin:

No....er... the last time my excuse was ....er.......... oh that's right, I had a hockey match.......:smile::blush: and .....er.....family commitments etc :blush::biggrin:

Quickly strokes of from list of excuses to be used :biggrin::biggrin:

Monkey Boy

Up the steep side of the Cairn?.....respect to that man!!!

If the weather holds and the new wheels arrive (supposed to be today) I think I'll take advantage of a day off and attempt it on Friday. I'm sure I'll be blowing out my a$$!

themightyw

Well that's the last time I try to "go green" and save the internet hamsters by recycling old threads! Did the same thing on the YACF forum and caused confusion there also :blush:

As I mention in my post it's on 23 May this year. Resurrected this post as it had some useful pointers about the route.

No excuses, Andy, I'm picking you up on my way over :biggrin:

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

themightyw said:
Hrrrm is anyone thinking of entering this year? 23 May. It would be my first 200km audax, so reading about 16% climbs has done little to assauge my fears!

There is only one 16% climb...singular.:biggrin:

Bot sure if I will be up to it or not this year, but might do it :biggrin:

Seamab

I intend to do this one. Need to get the application in the post - never my strong point!

Where are the controls on this one? I think there is one just before Cairn O' Mount then Ballater and Spittal Of Glenshee - any more?

I'm a bit nervous about the Glenshee descent from Noodleys' description:ohmy: Better get the brakes checked...

Top Bottom