Deeside Loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
Stop it, stop it, stop it, right now! I'm not listening, la la la la. Go away, stop tempting me, no, no, no, hate you all......... sorry, cannot hear you...... 23 May........I plugging an oil well leak on that day, quick job for some man at BP.......

Feck thats not working, I'm looking for a 200 km and just one 16% climb to sprint grind walk up, bother............

eck

Über Member
Where are the controls on this one? I think there is one just before Cairn O' Mount then Ballater and Spittal Of Glenshee - any more?
If they're the same as previous years, the first is at Stracathro after about 27k, the hospital canteen, so a gutbuster fry-up will set you up nicely for the Cairn o'Mount, about 20 later. The Ballater control tends to be a free choice; beware cafés in Ballater are among the slowest I've ever been in. Soup and scones at Glenshee will keep you going down Glen Isla to the finish, which is all downhill apart from, as Noodley will testify, the bits that go up. Usually a good spread at the finish to look forward to as well.
Jings, this almost makes me want to do it again.

ACS

Legendary Member
Don't know why I am going to do this. Best part of 13 hours on the road (if I go slow enough) and 3000m of climbing. SWMBO has signed the day pass so application in the post tomorrow.

Seamab

satans budgie said:
Don't know why I am going to do this. Best part of 13 hours on the road (if I go slow enough) and 3000m of climbing. SWMBO has signed the day pass so application in the post tomorrow.
This must be the preparation for the snow roads then?;)

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Okay, due to my withdrawal from the Etape, I have now decided I shall become un-retired from audax for this event....

themightyw

I'm feeling pangs of guild about signing up for this one, as the poor wife has had to rear the MightySprogs pretty much singlehandedly over recent months due to my negligent cycle-related parenting, but I'm hopefully still on track to do this one.

I don't expect to see any of you after the first 50 miles though, as I'll be crawling round...

Seamab

eck said:
If they're the same as previous years, the first is at Stracathro after about 27k, the hospital canteen, so a gutbuster fry-up will set you up nicely for the Cairn o'Mount, about 20 later. The Ballater control tends to be a free choice; beware cafés in Ballater are among the slowest I've ever been in. Soup and scones at Glenshee will keep you going down Glen Isla to the finish, which is all downhill apart from, as Noodley will testify, the bits that go up. Usually a good spread at the finish to look forward to as well.
Jings, this almost makes me want to do it again.

Got my route sheet a couple of days ago and the controls are indeed Stracathro after only 25K then Ballater at 95K and Glenshee at 140K. Is there anywhere between Stracathro and Ballater to top up water supplies? That stretch could well be around 3 hours which could be a problem if it is hot. I think i'll bring the camelbak just in case...

eck

Über Member
Seamab said:
Got my route sheet a couple of days ago and the controls are indeed Stracathro after only 25K then Ballater at 95K and Glenshee at 140K. Is there anywhere between Stracathro and Ballater to top up water supplies? That stretch could well be around 3 hours which could be a problem if it is hot. I think i'll bring the camelbak just in case...

There are a few opportunities to top up, but nowhere conveniently situated half way between Stracathro and Ballater.

• Edzell and Fettercairn both have village shops, but they are only 5k and 13k after S'cathro.
  • Next is the caff at Clattering Brig, about 18k after S'cathro, but they don't open until 10am, and they are just before the first brutal ramp that marks the start of the Cairn o'Mount climb. Perhaps not the best place to stop but, if you have big fry-up at Stracathro, you might get there about the time they open.
  • AFAIK, the next place would be Aboyne, after the Cairn o'Mount, about 50k after S'cathro, about 17k before Ballater. Going into Aboyne would entail a short detour off the route, which continues along the South Deeside Road B976, although some riders have been known to turn off at Aboyne anyway and blast along the faster, but busier, A93 to Ballater. :biggrin:
HTH

Seamab

eck said:
There are a few opportunities to top up, but nowhere conveniently situated half way between Stracathro and Ballater.

• Edzell and Fettercairn both have village shops, but they are only 5k and 13k after S'cathro.
  • Next is the caff at Clattering Brig, about 18k after S'cathro, but they don't open until 10am, and they are just before the first brutal ramp that marks the start of the Cairn o'Mount climb. Perhaps not the best place to stop but, if you have big fry-up at Stracathro, you might get there about the time they open.
  • AFAIK, the next place would be Aboyne, after the Cairn o'Mount, about 50k after S'cathro, about 17k before Ballater. Going into Aboyne would entail a short detour off the route, which continues along the South Deeside Road B976, although some riders have been known to turn off at Aboyne anyway and blast along the faster, but busier, A93 to Ballater. :biggrin:
HTH

Thanks Eck, that's very helpful. I don't like the sound of the word "brutal" however!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Seamab said:
Thanks Eck, that's very helpful. I don't like the sound of the word "brutal" however!
I came down that side last year :smile:

'Brutal' is fairly accurate - though 'challenging' would be more appropriate for you :biggrin:.

eck

Über Member
Seamab said:

So, Seamab, ... you've not been over the Cairn o'MOunt then?

Somebody in Lord of the Rings: "Are you scared?"
Somebody else in LotR (trembling): "Y-y-yes."
Somebody in LotR: "You're not scared enough."
:biggrin: :smile:

Seamab

No, i've never cycled up that way and have not been in the Braemar/Glen Shee area since a school ski trip too many years ago.

I think the scariest thing of all could be the Stracathro fry up...

Top Bottom