Defective Tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
About a year ago I bought a batch of inner tubes from a well known auction site. These tubes all seem to fail in the same manner after a month or two. It looks to me as if there is linear fault in the tyre which causes it to split. I have thoroughly checked the tyre for damage and also the rim tape etc and found nothing amiss. The damage is always similar but in different parts of the tube. My question is, has anyone else had a similar problem with this brand (IMPAC) or am I missing something.

Attachments

• IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 2

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Ha ha. Like @keithmac i didn’t have a puncture for god knows how many years until I used Impac tubes (cheap from the same site as you I presume) and for two years after that I had 4-5 failure. On no occasions could I find anything that had penetrated the tyre.

I’ve reverted to Shwalbe tubes now that I used before successfully.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I note wiggle sell them, and the usually very reliable Spa cycles do. for cheap tubes my default is wiggle lifeline brand, which have always been reliable.

I had loads of problem with tubes
I now only use the ones the LBS sells - can;t remember the make
Only problem with them is if they get a puncture very near the seam. The seam is quite prominent and the patch never seals if it is close to it

He sells them for £5 - how much are others paying?

vickster

Legendary Member
Only problem with them is if they get a puncture very near the seam. The seam is quite prominent and the patch never seals if it is close to it

I guess I’d pay £3-5 for a tube.
The ones I avoid at all costs are Continental with their flying cores grrr.
If choosing a brand, Schwalbe or Michelin (I’ve got loads at the mo in the two sizes I use…including some Continental grrr)

tyred

Legendary Member

I remove the seam with sandpaper and then patch it.

I seen it suggested to use a single blade Bic razor to remove the seam but sandpaper works for me.

Cerdic

A friend bought a box of 10 Specialized tubes and they ALL split along seams like that!

I have used Impac tubes without any problems.

Obviously, one can get a good batch or a bad batch from any manufacturer.

You would hope that a good manufacturer would have decent quality control that ensures all batches are good. Rubber inner tubes are not exactly cutting edge technology…

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You would hope that a good manufacturer would have decent quality control that ensures all batches are good. Rubber inner tubes are not exactly cutting edge technology…

You certainly would!

Specialized are a pretty big name so my mate was not impressed by a 10/10 failure rate. I was out with him when his first tube failed. He put a spare in and that went the same way. He put some air in a second replacement without even putting it in a tyre and that split too. I had to give him one of my spares. (All the others failed the same way when tested back at home.)

gcogger

Where were the specialized tubes bought from? I wouldn't be surprised if there were fakes available from places like ebay and Amazon 3rd party sellers.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've never had a problem with inner tubes. They've always quietly got on with their job and been successfully patched when required.

Ok I did once accidentally remove the valve core from a Conti tube. But once bitten ...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Where were the specialized tubes bought from? I wouldn't be surprised if there were fakes available from places like ebay and Amazon 3rd party sellers.

He worked in a bike shop, so I assumed that was where he got them.

One way or another they could have been fakes. They looked well made though. (Apart from the long splits that formed along the seams...! :laugh:)

Top Bottom