Definition of a century ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

[QUOTE 1981412, member: 9609"]A true century is going between A & B where A is 100 miles as the crow flies from B

My biggest ride was 63.1miles, although I am sure most people would have added up all the twists and turns and come up with 94.6miles[/quote]

Drat - in that case both my centuries, and in fact all but four of all the rides I've ever done, have in fact been rides of 0.0 miles, as they began and ended at my house!

Stu

Drat - in that case both my centuries, and in fact all but four of all the rides I've ever done, have in fact been rides of 0.0 miles, as they began and ended at my house!

Stu

exactly - and given that all my training rides and races start and finish at the same point, I have now reduced my mileage total for the last few years down to zero.....

[QUOTE 1981486, member: 9609"] Bikes are for going beyond the horizon under your own power.[/quote]

but not coming back again..?

Thomk

Guru
[QUOTE 1981412, member: 9609"]A true century is going between A & B where A is 100 miles as the crow flies from B

My biggest ride was 63.1miles, although I am sure most people would have added up all the twists and turns and come up with 94.6miles[/quote]

I calculate that the crow would need to take off from A and then land at B in order to go from A - B. Does that mean it's 100 miles from A to B following the take off trajectory and landing trajectory meaning that the straight line (still in a in a non-Euclidean sense because of the curve of the Earth) distance is slightly less than 100 miles? Or do you mean 100 miles once the crow is up to cruising altitude therefore making the A - B distance slightly MORE than 100 miles? In any case I've never managed to defeat gravity sufficiently while clipped in to my bike in order to attempt the 100 mile/crow fly challenge.

[QUOTE 1981661, member: 9609"]Total distance covered on a bike can only be calculated on roads cycled for the first time. IE if you have been on that road before, then it simply does not count.
Since taking up cycling 4 years ago I have only covered 2764miles SEE LINK, the 9238 miles shown on the cycle computer clearly indicate 6474 miles of repeating myself and not proper cycling :sad:[/quote]

You seem to know a lot for someone who's only been riding 4 years. Does my 20 years worth count for nothing when I tell you that you are quite simply talking a load of bollox..??

Cyclist33

[QUOTE 1981644, member: 9609"]If the crow flies at 50' above the ground, it would only be 15 inches further over a 100 miles than if it flew at ground level (assuming perfectly round globe with radius of 4000 miles)[/quote]

Still, it would have clocked a 100-miles-and-15-inches "ride" - whereas I with my out-there-and-back-again behaviour would only have covered 0.0 miles (still).

jayonabike