Definition of a century ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sittingbull

Veteran
In the strictest terms I would assume this should mean riding 100 miles without getting off the bike and ideally without stopping :sweat:

In practice however road conditions, taking on food and water, answering the call of nature and punctures etc. will dictate otherwise.

So what is acceptable? Stopping for a meal? Having a rest? Having a nap? Finishing the following day?

As far as I'm aware, in running events, once a competitor is no longer competing, the event is over for them.

Any opinions or actual criteria?

PK99

Legendary Member
By your strict definition, very few people claiming century rides actually do one!

For me 100 miles with feed stops of moderate length = a century.

Finishing the following day = two rides

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
I was wondering if there might be a time limit or maximum number of permissible stops?

I realise it's still not easy but breaking it down into more manageable chunks seems to make it less of a challenge!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Alas, I've never done one. My guess is that as long as you don't actually get into bed, you can take as long as you want. Not sure where naps come into the rules though.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I take it to mean in a day, or like slowmotion says without sleeping. So riding 50 in the morning and 50 in the evening would count IMHO. I think if youre getting serious enough about it to care, youd start looking at the time.

With your reference to running, plenty of people stop in running races at water/feed stations, loads take walking breaks or walk long parts, but still claim to complete the distance. I guess its a bit like jog/walking a 8 hour marathon, youve still completed a marathon and it counts but at 3mph its the finishing time that distinguishes between levels of achievement to many. :smile:

OP
OP
sittingbull

sittingbull

Veteran
With your reference to running, plenty of people stop in running races at water/feed stations, loads take walking breaks or walk long parts, but still claim to complete the distance.

I take your point :smile: but they are still making progress in the direction of the finishing line, as opposed to "pressing pause" then resuming later.

I guess what I'm getting at is how long it is possible to stop before that ride is considered over. Opinion seems to suggest that any number of rides totalling the desired distance is acceptable.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
IMO if I did a 100 mile ride that involved a long pub lunch at some point and also stopped off somewhere else to have a look around a shop that would be a 100 miler/1 ride. Bizzarely, if on the same day I did the 100 miler I got home, put the bike away, showered, had an evening meal with my family then cycled to work to do the night shift I would consider the ride to work as a completely seperate ride and not to be counted towards the 100 miler total (but obviously added to the days total and the mornings return trip would be counted into a 24hr total provided I got home before the start time of the previous days 100 miler!) :wacko:

Cyclist33

Lol, Skol. So basically, any 100 miles or more with retained sweaty nooks and crannies, counts as a century!

turbomart

Über Member
[QUOTE 1981412, member: 9609"]A true century is going between A & B where A is 100 miles as the crow flies from B

My biggest ride was 63.1miles, although I am sure most people would have added up all the twists and turns and come up with 94.6miles[/quote]

Now you are confusing me, not the other way round.....So has your bike got wings? ...do you have a bike computer? ... and finally place A on a map to another place B aren't measured 'as the crow flies' they are measured by road length / distance .

[QUOTE 1981412, member: 9609"]A true century is going between A & B where A is 100 miles as the crow flies from B

My biggest ride was 63.1miles, although I am sure most people would have added up all the twists and turns and come up with 94.6miles[/quote]

what planet are you from, fella..?

Top Bottom