Definition of "active member"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's pretty simple isn't it. You click on their profile and see when they joined and how many posts they've made.
Obviously. But until today I thought that if it didn't say "new member" they'd posted a few times.

Obviously. But until today I thought that if it didn't say "new member" they'd posted a few times.
I never take any notice of that. If I'm not sure of a poster and how I should reply, I read their posting history to get a flavour. This happens with old and new members because you don't always interact with everyone so sometimes when you do, you need or I need, to remind myself of their style, that way I can reply appropriately; though not always, we're none of us perfect.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

You mentioned that the post in question "bore all the hallmarks of a new CC user". I'd suggest you should have trusted your instinct and checked their history, rather than allowing yourself to be misled by the status.

I've never thought of it as meaning anything. Your status as 'Guru' certainly doesn't convey any useful information to me that I can't glean from just reading your posts.
To me there were three categories.

1. New member - means, usually, has only made a few posts (there are new members here that joined in 2007)
  2. Active member - has made more than a few posts
  3. Everything else - they've been around long enough to get to pick their own epithet - or accept the default, guru.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Seriously? If someone says something really stupid as their first posting, I don't want to frighten them away. If someone has been here for months and says something really stupid, I will call them on it. Either way, I will do it with respect.

Do you really do anything different?

Do you really feel as though you have the power to frighten someone away over the internet? I think you need to have power meter check I think.

classic33

Leg End Member
To me there were three categories.

1. New member - means, usually, has only made a few posts (there are new members here that joined in 2007)
  2. Active member - has made more than a few posts
  3. Everything else - they've been around long enough to get to pick their own epithet - or accept the default, guru.
Guru isn't the default. It's just one in a series of five, unless you change it yourself.

Do you really feel as though you have the power to frighten someone away over the internet? I think you need to have power meter check I think.
Not on my own, but if I joined bike forum like this and said "only an idiot would cycle without a helmet", that would probably be my last post. Being attacked by a dozen smug members would make me find somewhere else to go.

Not everyone is like me, but I think it's nice to make new members feel welcome until they get the hang of things.

BrynCP

Über Member
  • A "New Member" could be a first time cyclist, or a bike mechanic of 30 years who never posted here before. So it's irrelevant as to their knowledge and experience and so you should assume nothing.
  • I read a lot, but I don't post a lot - maybe others do too. In fact, one of the last times I posted you objected me to posting a fact from my experience, making me wonder why I bother to begin with.
  • A long term member deserves the same respect and no hostility as anybody else. They may still be a novice and lack confidence no matter how long they've been posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom