Dehumidifier or heat source tumble drier ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I checked my dehumidifier yesterday. It is rated at 250W. I ran it for 8 hours with washing airing on and in front of a radiator which would have been on anyway. That got the washing dry.

2 kWh doesn't seem too bad!

figbat

Slippery scientist
First run last night, full load of washing dried on Eco mode. Program states 3hr 14 mins, its actual time was around 2 hrs maximum, odd i thought ?
It has a sensor, monitoring the dryness of the clothes so i assume modifies the program run time as it goes. It calls it 'cupboard dry' on completion of cycle, its not old style 'hot' dry, it feels different, but there are other settings to get even drier....at extra energy useage of course.
Wife always selects a 1600 spin speed on the washer so that probably impacts the result for the better.
Wife is quite happy, that's ultimately what matters.

IIRC "cupboard dry" is very slightly damp, with the expectation that you will put the clothes in an airing cupboard or similar to finish off. In other words, not arid dry and OK if you're not going to wear the clothes immediately.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
IIRC "cupboard dry" is very slightly damp, with the expectation that you will put the clothes in an airing cupboard or similar to finish off. In other words, not arid dry and OK if you're not going to wear the clothes immediately.

I think that explains it perfectly :okay:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
We've a Bosch heat pump dryer. It's rated at 1,000watts but only draws that on the most 'aggressive' programmes like the one that's for towels.

Although it starts off predicting near to four hours to get cotton to cupboard dry in practice it's around 90minutes. I'm OK running it on economy 7 (fire risk mitigated by location, doors etc) so 22p/unit at local capped rate.

Quick boost on timed dry sorts out anything that still feels slightly damp/cold and stuff then most stuff goes straight to the wardrobe/drawer.

Bamboo socks are the one thing that may need time in the airing cupboard.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
As we get used to ours, eco mode is 3 hrs 14 minutes. Full'ish load of washing (spin speed 1600rpm) starts at that 3.14 but tends to finish in about 1 hour.
My wife (and me tbf) are very happy with its performance and assuming its energy consumption is anywhere near its stated levels, its going to be infinately more economical than our former drier.

Top Bottom