Dehydrating food?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So some people like gels when riding, some like flapjacks, some just stop and buy a sandwich etc...

Does anybody dehydrate food?

I have a cheap little food dehydrator I use mainly (rarely) to make beef Jerky (as the shop bought stuff is so expensive and tastes crap tbh) - and I find dehydrated foods are great on the road, bananas mangoes etc...

Does anybody else use/have one or like these stuffs for out and about?

You can make fruit leathers that turn out like "fruitina snack bars" .

Dried mushrooms and semi dried (sun blushed) tomatoes are also great..

Sharky

Guru
I would only eat dehydrated food if I was desperate, Dan.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
So some people like gels when riding, some like flapjacks, some just stop and buy a sandwich etc...

I have a cheap little food dehydrator I use mainly (rarely) to make beef Jerky (as the shop bought stuff is so expensive and tastes crap tbh) - and I find dehydrated foods are great on the road, bananas mangoes etc...

Love biltong, have ordered it online many times from small producers One of the best I had was horse radish flavour.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have one and use it for mundane stuff. Chilies, mushrooms, apples, strawberries and bananas. If we buy silly amounts of stuff at the market, very often the surplus gets dried.

The kids love the dried fruit. It proved very good on the D of E expedition.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

Dried mushrooms?! :stop: xx(

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I often buy bags of dried fruit for snacking on during rides - apricots, raisins, apple, banana, mango...

We have a few apple and pear trees in the garden and I sometimes make my own dried apple and pear by slicing it thinly and leaving it in a low oven for a while. A dehydrator would probably produce better results.

simonali

Guru
Dried mushrooms?! :stop: xx(

I was finkin' that. Whenever I buy them in the shop the instructions say to soak them in boiling water for 20 mins, not neck them as is out on a bike ride!

OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Veteran
Lol. I don't eat the mushrooms dried, they keep better and the flavour strengthens - I add herbs and dry for future use. But yes I have tried them dried and though they weren't horrible I won't recommend them like that..

I will also say that dry banana chips are cheap to buy and not really worth going out of the way to make IMO.. Same with pineapple...

You shouldn't ever get food poisoning from dried beef unless it was off or some NUMPTY contaminated it, after all fresh beef is fine eaten raw, and dehydrating basically cooks it.. I should try lamb Jerky, reckon that would be nice - many make turkey Jerky, but that just in my mind is too close to chicken, which obviously isn't suitable..

Globalti

Legendary Member
Dehydrating beef (or any meat) removes the water, which bacteria need in which to reproduce. High-water products like shampoo, dishwash liquid, body cream, shower gel etc. all need bactericides so that they don't grow bacteria, especially after you stick a dirty finger in them. Beef jerky and biltong also get smothered in spices and salt, which make life unpleasant for ambitious bacteria.

Top Bottom