Dehyration on long flights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm just about to embark on my first ever long haul flight - to New Zealand. With the ban on taking more than a minuscule amount of fluid on board, how do you keep adequatately hydrated? On short haul flights round Europe, all they give you is minute amounts of coffee, wine etc. which are diuretic. How on earth do you get several litres of water inside you?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Once you pass through airport security you can buy and take on board as much water as you want.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Patrick Stevens said:
I'm just about to embark on my first ever long haul flight - to New Zealand. With the ban on taking more than a minuscule amount of fluid on board, how do you keep adequatately hydrated? On short haul flights round Europe, all they give you is minute amounts of coffee, wine etc. which are diuretic. How on earth do you get several litres of water inside you?

no worries at all, avoid the grog before flying and there's never a shortage of tea/coffee/water/soft drinks/booze going up and down the aisle. if you need to loo more often, it's a good excuse to go and have a look out of the window if you're stuck with an aisle seat.

on a ba flight to hong kong many years ago, i managed to collect about 1 litre of minitures from the various trollies. i doubt you'd manage that these days mind, they're strict about what can enter the country at the other end.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Kirstie said:
You can also press the steward/ess call button and they will bring you water if you want it. On scheduled flights they tend not to charge for this. What airline are you on?

Flying economy with Air New Zealand. I've booked an aisle seat so I can get up to stretch my legs more easily.

ChrisKH

Guru
Just drink plenty of non-alcoholic beverages on the flight. The good airlines give you bottles of water on boarding as they know you have been water free for a while.

I once got through customs,.etc and bought a Times which had two free bottles of water with it. So this was airside. Great thought I. Only to have the water taken away at the gate.

They bring water round all the time on long haul flights anyway...which means I never got any sleep because there was constantly a trolley coming past, but no risk of dehydration!

Maz

Guru
Fnaar said:
Can't you buy it once you are through security?
You can, but they cost a lot.
As a skinflint Yorkshireman, I take empty bottles through and fill them up with water from the toilets (not literally, that would be gross).

Have a nice holiday, Patrick.

By the way you should also have (if you don't already) an inflatable neck pillow; eye patches and ear plugs. These things together will vastly increase your chances of getting some sleep. Also take a small pack of wet ones/moist tissues as you will start to feel grimy after a while and it's nice to refresh yourself. Set your watch to your arrival time zone when you get on the plane. It helps you to adjust.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Patrick Stevens said:
Flying economy with Air New Zealand. I've booked an aisle seat so I can get up to stretch my legs more easily.

I have flown with Air New Zealand from Auckland to Los Angeles, fairly standard service. It, like all other long-haul operators, will provide all the liquids you need free of charge . If they do not come round with the trolley often enough, stretch your legs and walk to a stewardess and ask for something to drink.

redjedi

Über Member
Stan said:
If you don't want to pay the high prices take empty bottles through and fill them up before boarding.

Smuggle your water through.

Drink the water first then refill the empty bottles once your on the plane.:blush:

You could put it in condoms first, and "insert" them somewhere safe but that would be disgusting ;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Alan H said:
If they do not come round with the trolley often enough, stretch your legs and walk to a stewardess and ask for something to drink.
.. not forgetting to first wink at her lasciviously and ask her if she'd like to join you in a cocktail or two ;)

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Maz said:
You can, but they cost a lot.
As a skinflint Yorkshireman, I take empty bottles through and fill them up with water from the toilets (not literally, that would be gross).

Have a nice holiday, Patrick.

You just fill them up yourself. ;)

Top Bottom