Deliveroo Pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A company is offering a service and charging a premium for it during peak hours to make a profit. It's a service you don't have to use, but means you can have a couple of drinks.

All sounds pretty reasonable to me!
It's the opaque nature of the food price increase that's the issue. If I went on Deliveroo website and ordered I would expect a delivery charge and "normal" online ordering prices from the restaurant. You only find out that the restaurant is charging a premium for Deliveroo delivered food if you check their own website

If I found that a local restaurant was scalping customers in this way I'd try to use alternatives

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Local Indian I know offers 15% off collection, free local delivery by them or Deliveroo at normal restaurant take away price - but Deliveroo charge them 35% AND charge the punter for delivery. ie on a small order around 50% of what the punter pays goes to Deliveroo who pay their drivers below minimum wage for hours on shift and zero benefits.

Local Turkish offered 25% off collection

Local Franco Manca pizza use Deliveroo but prefer collection as cost to them of Delivroo is extortionate.

A local Gerorgian wine bar, does its own delivery.

We always use own-delivery restaurants or collect.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
It's the opaque nature of the food price increase that's the issue. If I went on Deliveroo website and ordered I would expect a delivery charge and "normal" online ordering prices from the restaurant. You only find out that the restaurant is charging a premium for Deliveroo delivered food if you check their own website

If I found that a local restaurant was scalping customers in this way I'd try to use alternatives

So this thread is having a pop at Deliveroo, but actually it is the chippy that has bunced up the prices, not Deliveroo. They are clear they are charging you a delivery fee, fair enough, no arguments from anyone there I would imagine?

The chippy has hiked the price of the food, presumably to cover some costs that Deliveroo are charging them.

This is not a Deliveroo issue.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
see post #47

Local Indian I know offers 15% off collection, free local delivery by them or Deliveroo at normal restaurant take away price - but Deliveroo charge them 35% AND charge the punter for delivery. ie on a small order around 50% of what the punter pays goes to Deliveroo who pay their drivers below minimum wage for hours on shift and zero benefits.

Local Turkish offered 25% off collection

Local Franco Manca pizza use Deliveroo but prefer collection as cost to them of Delivroo is extortionate.

A local Gerorgian wine bar, does its own delivery.

We always use own-delivery restaurants or collect.

Yeah, but what did you do for your food a year ago? Did you get fish and chips, Indian, Turkish, pizza or Georgian? Delivered or picked up?

I am just trying to see how you managed your dinner in the end.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Couple of interesting article on Deliveroo:

Deliveroo, the lossmaking food delivery company which once briefly employed Alphaville’s editor, announced a new product line on Sunday. From the Telegraph’s James Cook: DELIVEROO is introducing food collection services at 10,000 UK restaurants in a move that risks inflaming tensions with its delivery riders. The online food delivery group plans to roll out a new "Pickup" service, where customers save money by collecting food themselves, at half of its UK restaurants within six months. It hopes the scheme will help it win new customers and sign up extra restaurants as it wages a battle with rivals. Uber Eats launched a similar service in May.

https://www.ft.com/content/a6418a9e-2dba-4bed-8cd6-6737a26d6ef8

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/deliveroo-coronavirus-amazon

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...id-boon-deliveroo-still-hasnt-turned-a-profit

Deliveroo doesn't seem to be a thing round her - yet.

but I checked the chippy we went to last night and it would have cost the same to get Fish & Chips delivered by Just Eat as it did to pick it up myself

I suspect they are happy to pay Just Eat's cut due to the extra volume

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Deliveroo doesn't seem to be a thing round her - yet.

but I checked the chippy we went to last night and it would have cost the same to get Fish & Chips delivered by Just Eat as it did to pick it up myself

I suspect they are happy to pay Just Eat's cut due to the extra volume

1617449311965.png

Top Bottom