Deliveroo Pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I cannot see the problem, they are not hiding anything and we have no idea of the business costs.

I agree entirely re your thoughts on transparency and business costs. I do have a problem with what I understand is the Deliveroo business model. The delivery people are paid a small amount per delivery and do not get paid for time when they are not delivering but are still expected to be available to work. There is also the question of job security, holidays, sick pay etc. This would be my problem with Deliveroo.

Based on the OP the issue is with the poster who firstly objects to paying the published price for the service but feels collecting the meal is an inconvenience and is prepared to make a non-essential car journey to collect said meal.

Hard to see what the OP has to complain about.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
And I'll wager that didn't cost you 24 smackers.
Where do they get those prices? Amazing!! I thought ours was expensive @ £6.00.
@Dirk Will have a fit reading that as he pays about £7.00 for 2 in the pub (and it always looks good)
Paul jumps on bike to make essential journey with smelling salts. :laugh:

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
I cannot see the problem, they are not hiding anything and we have no idea of the business costs.

The problem as I see it is that the impression is given that one orders from the restaurant and deliveroo charge for delivery. To charge a premium on restaurant take away prices AND charge for delivery is double dipping.

screenman

Legendary Member
The problem as I see it is that the impression is given that one orders from the restaurant and deliveroo charge for delivery. To charge a premium on restaurant take away prices AND charge for delivery is double dipping.

But it is in writing so nice and clear, also I doubt they could afford to do the delivery for £3.99.

screenman

Legendary Member
I agree entirely re your thoughts on transparency and business costs. I do have a problem with what I understand is the Deliveroo business model. The delivery people are paid a small amount per delivery and do not get paid for time when they are not delivering but are still expected to be available to work. There is also the question of job security, holidays, sick pay etc. This would be my problem with Deliveroo.

Based on the OP the issue is with the poster who firstly objects to paying the published price for the service but feels collecting the meal is an inconvenience and is prepared to make a non-essential car journey to collect said meal.

Hard to see what the OP has to complain about.

I am also not keen on that business model, maybe that is the only way they can make it pay without pricing themselves out of the market.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
How much does a deliveroo delivery person get paid then? i somehow doubt that they get the £3.99 delivery charge.
This video is quite enlightening, although from context it was a busy weekend day and he shows you how much he earned at the end of the day:

Interesting that the 8hours 23 minutes works out at £7.75/hour which is below minimum wage.

I actually quite enjoyed that video; lots of chicken deliveries and lots of vegan stuff.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This is quite an eye opener. My (erroneous) understanding was that Deliveroo was a pure delivery business. They make their profit on the delivery charge and the food is normally priced (for Wimbledon hipsters like @PK99 that is).
Just Eat is a portal that takes a cut on online orders via its site. Nothing to do with delivery.
But if Deliveroo is also charging more for the food than normal, I wonder who decides how much more and who gets the upside on the standard price?
Whilst understand the argument that this is an arms length transaction, willing buyer etc, it is a bit rum. It would be a reasonable expectation for orders via Deliveroo that you're getting normal food prices

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've just checked. Deliveroo don't get the food price uplift. Restaurants can load whatever prices they like to Deliveroo system and they keep it all

So Deliveroo aren't ripping off the customer. It's the hipster chippy doing the ripping off in this case

Dunno about prices - I am too impatient and always go and collect myself

but last night we had fish&chips - Good Friday and all that
The local chippy had 8 people getting orders ready - and that is not including the people in that back cooking Chinese and such like
only 1 of them was dealing with people collecting - everything else was being packed for delivery - and they were mad busy

so someone there is making money!!!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've used Just Eat a few times, although I've never checked prices direct from the restaurant.

However, a new service has just been launched around here which, as might be expected, has many of the same restaurants.

Prices on one restaurant I checked varied between the two services, although I've no idea where the money goes.

The north east is a relatively poor area, so prices for goods and services tend to be reasonable because customers won't/can't pay more.

London has a much wider price variation, usually higher which is a nuisance if you are buying but you get some of it back if you are selling.

Selling in this case means anything, including labour in terms of higher wages.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
A company is offering a service and charging a premium for it during peak hours to make a profit. It's a service you don't have to use, but means you can have a couple of drinks.

All sounds pretty reasonable to me!

Top Bottom