Deliveroo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
I'm sure you've seen these guys and girls cycling around cities. I've often wondered how it works and how people get into it. To me it seems like a great way to earn a few quid whilst on the bike but not all is rosey according to this one particular 'independent consultant' from Dublin. She admits regularly breaking red lights and riding up one way streets the wrong way.

Interestingly, when she fell off her bike and rang the office to report she'd be late, the first thing they did was ask if the food was okay.

http://www.independent.ie/life/dubl...-asked-was-if-the-food-was-okay-35090382.html

Has anyone used Deliveroo, worked for them or had any other experiences?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
They don't seem to observe too many rules in Cambridge.

We used the service once the other week whilst baby sitting. Half hour late, stone cold pizza.

But much better than petrol fumes.

robjh

Legendary Member
They don't seem to observe too many rules in Cambridge.

We used the service once the other week whilst baby sitting. Half hour late, stone cold pizza.

But much better than petrol fumes.
You were actually in Cambridge at the time? I'd pity the poor Deliveroo agent who had to ride out to where you live! Only half an hour late would be pretty good going...

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
A friend of my daughter does it 4 nights a week. He reckons on average you earn between £30/40 per night for a 4 hour shift.
It can be less, but obviously weekend times are a lot busier.
And he also says that when it's busy the pressure to deliver on time is unreal as @ianrauk has already said.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The ones in Norwich seemed a bit gung-ho ride-anywhere... but then so is everyone else, so they fitted in! Edit: that's not to say Norwich cyclists are necessarily worse than elsewhere - the city has a bit of a bad habit of stealth cycleways, which seems to have resulted in everyone riding everywhere and no-one challenging anyone.

Can't comment on service because they don't come here. Takeaway drivers don't find my house without calling to ask (one road, three names, numbers that stop and start without much reason and some house names mixed - we have three postcodes), so deliveroo probably wouldn't be worse :laugh:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
You were actually in Cambridge at the time? I'd pity the poor Deliveroo agent who had to ride out to where you live! Only half an hour late would be pretty good going...

I was in Chesterton!

bruce1530

Guru
A colleague’s son (a student) works for them some evenings.

He says it’s OK. On a bad night he’ll just about make minimum wage, on a good night he’ll get more than double that.

The first week’s “wages” effectively cover the deposit for the kit. (you supply bike & helmet, they provide the rest)

And since starting, he’s got much fitter.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My lad did it for a while in Leicester before going to university, he loved it. To be fair to the ones I've seen in Leicester none of them have being riding like nobbers.

dim

those in Cambridge have massive rucksacks .... it must be really uncomfortable riding with those

1464741619089.jpg

watch this video of a USA bike messanger/couriers (they make lots of money and they mostly ride fixies .... they have races ):

Attachments

• 1464741619089.jpg
    1464741619089.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 90

dim

Deliveroo are advertising for bike couriers here in Cambridge:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/drivers-r...ycle-delivery-courier-in-cambridge/1094891566

snip:
Deliveroo lets customers order amazing food from the UK's best loved local restaurants who otherwise may not offer delivery. Our mission is to bring the world's local restaurants into everyone's home or office - fast.

We are currently looking to increase our rider fleet in Cambridge and we’d like to hear from candidates who own a bike and love cycling! You should be a passionate cyclist and ideally have some courier/food delivery experience. You must be polite and professional and have a good command of English language.

£6.00/h + £1.00/per delivery + tips
flexible 5 hour sessions
full equipment provided (rack, branded waterproof clothing, mobile case and battery pack)

REQUIREMENTS:
You must own a bicycle
You must own a smart phone - iPhone or Android
You should be a fit, confident cyclist with a good knowledge of Cambridge
Experience of customer service and/or bicycle courier work will be helpful
YOU MUST HAVE THE RIGHT TO WORK AS SELF-EMPLOYED IN THE UK

Interested in joining our fleet? We’d love to meet you!

LOL ... £6 per hour? that's illegal as it's less than minimum wage?
must own a bike (do they pay towards maintenance/tyres?)
must own a smart phone (do they pay toward this?)

crap job for very little money and you are better off flipping burgers at McDonalds .... £12-£15 per hour should be the going rate if you need to use your own bike

Top Bottom