Deliveroo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
They're a pain - of the cyclists in Leeds it's Deliveroo riders who are amongst the worst I see unfortunately.

Yep, some of the Deliveroo riders in Leeds are truly terrible. RLJ'ing, wrong way down one way streets, riding on pavements at speed - but I suppose what should you expect when the payment structure is heavily weighted to encourage more deliveries (and tips).
They do seem to have a varied selection of bikes though, I've seen them on everything from knackered looking old fixies through to full carbon racing jobbies.

On a side note I did see one the other week in Seacroft, about 4 (mainly uphill) miles from the city centre looking at a map on his phone. Boy was he lost...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
A couple of riders have started in Winchester, which surprises me given the tiny size of the city.

<if-you're-bored> I did see a young lad with a Deliveroo hot bag on my commute home last Friday. I was riding in the stop-start traffic approaching a mini roundabout. It's too tight for filtering on the right and the roundabout itself is a bun fight when it's busy, so the safest option is to stay in the line and be patient (heading into town at the 3 way Rb at the junction of Stockbridge Road and Chilbolton Av for locals @jayclock looking at you). I'm doing track stands because I'm a ponce when I hear a clattering on my left. Deliveroo Guy undertakes me (I hate that!) and then filters the traffic on the left. Bad move, because it all squeezes up approaching the roundabout. DG tries a track-stand himself in about the 6 inches of road between the car he's undertaken and the kerb. I hope his fare didn't mind the mashed pizza. I was going to ask if he was ok, but he was up sharpish and on his way.</>

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
YOU MUST HAVE THE RIGHT TO WORK AS SELF-EMPLOYED IN THE UK
This will be their down fall as everyone has the right to work as self employed but if that work looks to be dependent on one company then that company MUST employ you full time .

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
YOu and me both. I don't suppose that the immigration authorities will look very kindly on someone who tries to outstay their visa by claiming that they're working for themselves.

In any case, the point is moot. HMRC are beginning to crack down on shysters like Deliveroo who pretend that their employees aren't actually employed.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-gig-economy-firms-agency-self-employed-staff
That's what i said but you two got confused and then said the same thing . The law is about 20 years old so nothing new .

This will be their down fall as everyone has the right to work as self employed but if that work looks to be dependent on one company then that company MUST employ you full time .

There is also massive advantages if the individuals work as self employed contractors rather than employees, when it comes to sick pay, actually paying a wage etc.

@srw 's link to HMRC's investigation suggests they are using as many loopholes as they can to avoid the individuals being employees

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That's what i said but you two got confused and then said the same thing . The law is about 20 years old so nothing new .
Well no. The bit of your post we were responding to was this bit, which is a claim about immigration law:

everyone has the right to work as self employed

Your observation about tax law is correct.

OP
OP
Sixmile

Sixmile

Veteran
REQUIREMENTS:
You must own a bicycle
You must own a smart phone - iPhone or Android
You should be a fit, confident cyclist with a good knowledge of Cambridge
Experience of customer service and/or bicycle courier work will be helpful

It could be tough enough going on that wage when you have to provide your own bike and phone. It'd mean buying a few decent locks too if you were worried about your bike as I'm sure there are times when they're delivering when they have to leave their bike somewhere and run up a few set of stairs or go into an apartment or office block. The wear and tear on an average bike would be significant too and any repairs or replacements would eat into their earnings quite a bit.

I still think if I was younger, needing some extra cash and living in the city as a student that I'd consider it.

vickster

Legendary Member
From what I've seen Deliveroo riders don't bother with locks or just use a basic cable. Hiplock could be a good solution. Certainly seems to be a job for the younger student type :smile: In London, basic beater or s/h single speed ideal

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
From what I've seen Deliveroo riders don't bother with locks or just use a basic cable. Hiplock could be a good solution. Certainly seems to be a job for the younger student type :smile: In London, basic beater or s/h single speed ideal
I'd expect them to be doing what I did for short stops as a student: keep the cable lock wound around the head tube and top tube, then drop it around street furniture and through the front wheel when you stop. Quick, easy and widely-available in the UK and secures a QR front wheel better than a ring lock with cable.

Top Bottom