Department of "You Couldn't Make it Up"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
A bit like appointing a "cycling champion" who feels cycling, on the road, is too dangerous. And doesn't actually ride a bike herself, off or on road.

But she got the expert say in all things cycling related, for the council.

Slioch

Guru
A bit like appointing a "cycling champion" who feels cycling, on the road, is too dangerous. And doesn't actually ride a bike herself, off or on road.

But she got the expert say in all things cycling related, for the council.

I'll bite...

Don't be daft. Something like that could never possibly happen in real life?
:rolleyes:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
To be fair, and having a little bit of local knowledge, I think the council may have made the right decision.

The location is not on any of the typical cycling routes and the area in question is not a tempting one for the majority of cyclists. This smacks of trying to get an industrial estate greasy spoon cafe approved under the pretence of being a 'green pound' environmentally friendly venture!

But on the other hand, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good headline!

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll bite...

Don't be daft. Something like that could never possibly happen in real life?
:rolleyes:
Local "cycling champion" is American, not cycled since she was a teenager. And has never cycled over here. It's just too dangerous to even consider.

• Wow
Reactions: C R

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Local "cycling champion" is American, not cycled since she was a teenager. And has never cycled over here. It's just too dangerous to even consider.
What this situation really needs is a pro-cycling councillor who can propose a suitable compromise location that can both service the cycling communities needs while also cashing in on nearby industrial customers that will make the business viable. Hell, the Torfaen cycle route up to Blaenavon could even support a small cycle hire business on the side for a truly visional entrepreneur. What's not to like? A cafe and bike hire on a very pleasant cycle trail that ends with steam trains. I'm actually surprised it doesn't exist already now I think about it.
EDIT: I have ridden the Cwmbran-Blaenavon trail several times and have family links in Cwmbran going back decades so do have a small inkling of what the local situation is. I was riding MTB at Cwmcarn at the start of the 90s before Cwmcarn trail centre was even a concept!

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To be fair, and having a little bit of local knowledge, I think the council may have made the right decision.

The location is not on any of the typical cycling routes and the area in question is not a tempting one for the majority of cyclists. This smacks of trying to get an industrial estate greasy spoon cafe approved under the pretence of being a 'green pound' environmentally friendly venture!

But on the other hand, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good headline!

Whilst you are probably right, no-one is really going to drive to a caff on an industrial estate. Clientele are going to be workers who are there anyway who'll likely walk to cafe from their unit.

DRM

Guru
Whilst you are probably right, no-one is really going to drive to a caff on an industrial estate. Clientele are going to be workers who are there anyway who'll likely walk to cafe from their unit.
I think that the decision could well be right, who on earth wants to ride through an industrial estate, all it will do is attract local workers, and clog up the road with parked vans/hgv's all stopping for a cuppa & a butty, it's a good idea, wrong place.

classic33

Leg End Member

Johnno260

Veteran
tbh I gave up with my partial commutes to work as cycling on or near the industrial estate I work on was becoming too dangerous.

I can’t see that taking off as a cycling cafe.

Johnno260

Veteran
Yet the same council seem happy to give planning permission to new housing with inadequate car parking.

yea funny that it’s the same here, the current build being proposed the local schools and GP can’t handle the increase yet we are told it’s ok haha

Also they said in the meeting the cycling infrastructure would mean 70% of trips would be by bike, there is zero infrastructure.

Top Bottom