Depressing living here. Any ideas about moving abroad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Not only the weather but the me me greedy materialistic society we've become. The roads are packed out with get there as fast as possible ignorant motorists. Shopping centres are full of overweight slovenly scruffy gits and the country is run by self serving politicians.
You think things will be significantly different anywhere else? This isn't 'now', nor is it 'here': what you're describing is pretty much the entire western (and increasingly 'rest of') world, made in accordance with human nature, as it's ever been, putting aside the rose-tinted glasses. Nor is it that bad. I still say that tho' things can look gloomy, especially at the arse-end of the winter, you'll still find a lot of good humour, kindness and consideration around - certainly as much here as you'll get pretty much anywhere comparable. (By which I mean I don't know how things are in Gambia, or Peru, or Malaysia.)

Three things you might well find you miss if you went abroad: the beer, the absence of corruption, and - believe me when I say this - the television. I know of no other country where after a bad day you can at least count on a few hours of well-worth-watching tv, without brain-battering advertising every ten minutes.

Cheer up! Spring's just around the corner! You've got a job, somewhere to live, and mates to share a pint (and a moan) with. Things could be a helluva lot worse.

User269

Give serious thought to moving within the UK; there are places with a different demographic, climate, and countryside.
Not everywhere is greedy & materialistic, with lousy weather, packed roads and fat laden shopping centres. This doesn't mean to say that moving abroad isn't a good idea however, and the whisky household has a constant eye on the moving to France or Spain scenerio.
Either way, life is short, then we die, so don't stay in a situation that doesn't fill you with joy and purpose.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@Accy cyclist

You'd have to change your user name.... that's serious!

How about going on a long tour on your bike? Look up work away websites where you work for board and lodgings. Have an adventure first.

What other skills do you have?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Another day off work due to the crap weather! I'm sat here twiddling my thumbs thinking the usual depressing thoughts about what the future holds for me. I don't think it's a midlife crisis as i've had these thoughts for years. Basically i'm peed off with living in Britain. Not only the weather but the me me greedy materialistic society we've become. The roads are packed out with get there as fast as possible ignorant motorists. Shopping centres are full of overweight slovenly scruffy gits and the country is run by self serving politicians.
These aren't all the things getting to me,there's plenty more. If someone said hey there's a nice little job for you in sunnier climes i'd jump at the chance! I'm not after much,just a change of scenery and a roof over my head with some work to pay my way. The former landlady of my local pub was ridiculed for having such a dream the other year when she retired after losing the pub and her marriage,but she took the leap and went to live in Cyprus. She said to me before she went "Why live in old age poverty in shitty Accrington when i can live in poverty in sunny Cyprus?". She went out there,found some bar work,even flew her three cats out there and now all of them live the laid back life!
Is it just a pipe dream or could it happen? Your thoughts please!
It worries me when folk talk about "escaping" to another country. As others have mentioned often the escaping has do be undertaken a lot closer to home with a change in lifestyles and attitude.

I cannot work out if you own a home if so be very careful of stepping off the UK property ladder...finding that the grass is not greener but being trapped there due to differential in home ownership costs is enough to do a person in. Personally i would diversify and take the bucket and cloth to the roads offering a car cleaning service or something less limiting and perhaps a new challenge.

If your health is a worry then please think really carefully about emigrating...it could lead to awful issues when you are least equipped to handle them

All that said..if you really want to get away from it all, live like a king on a tiny budget and enjoy a fantastic climate and environment then take a look at Argentina...just keep a property foothold in the uk if you Can...just in case.

Renting a small flat in the uk will provide sufficient income to live a fantastic lifestyle in Argentina.

vickster

Legendary Member
But learn some Spanish first :smile:

A lot of Asia is warm and inexpensive, less so Thailand but Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. Scarier than moving to the Costa Brava though

U

User169

How about getting a TEFL qualification first? You might then be able to get a job before you go.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I'd quite like to spend the winter months travelling around florida, arizona, louisiana, new orleans etc. Then come back to the Uk for the summer months.

I know. That's the major minus about moving abroad. I don't want to waffle on about my health but i've had the "Big C" and my eye sight is a worry of mine. I know it wouldn't be as simple as walking down to the health centre like over here and getting someone to see you straight away. Maybe i should have took the leap 20 years ago when i was in better shape?
If you've got somewhere in mind, investigate a bit further and see what you would be able to access (and how easily). if you haven't got anywhere in mind, do a general web trawl and see where might have the best options for you healthcare wise. That might narrow things down a bit :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'd quite like to spend the winter months travelling around florida, arizona, louisiana, new orleans etc. Then come back to the Uk for the summer months.

Arizona is probably one of the most beautiful parts of the world you can ever visit. It has everything from deserts, to Canyons to mountains to forests and everything in between. Utah comes a close second.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Arizona is probably one of the most beautiful parts of the world you can ever visit. It has everything from deserts, to Canyons to mountains to forests and everything in between. Utah comes a close second.

Exactly. The best of both worlds. Winter in a beautiful part of the world, then back to the UK for the summer., perfect.

vickster

Legendary Member
Except it's quite hard to get work and by God it's hot in the summer (even if dry)

Top Bottom